Chapter 5: Victory Curls

I tapped my foot impatiently as I waited for the lunch break. I wasn't usually like this, however, there was another 'S' race that night against some wuss and Shadow. Shadow, clearly angry that he lost against someone who barely knew how to skate, challenged some poor guy from the crowd. It had been a week since Langa's debut in the skating world. Unfortunately, people were starting to get impatient, wanting to see him skate again. I understood why this was. After all, Langa was amazing out there. Glancing over at the boy, he had his book up along with Reki. Confused, I attempted to look over Reki's textbook. A phone was in sight. I would never tattle, however, even I thought that was disrespectful. Lunch finally came, and I immediately elevated from my seat and took off for the roof.

Anyway, in the sense of that wuss I was talking about. He was challenged to a beef after Langa's race; however, the poor soul didn't want to be destroyed. That night, I approached him, making sure to cover my face. I asked him if he would allow me to fight his battle. I wasn't in costume. I just looked like some skater girl. However, the poor soul accepted immediately, as a soft smile formed on my features. This was my first unofficial beef in Japan, and I didn't know what to feel.

Scared? Impatient? Anxious? Excited? A little nervous? I felt all these emotions and more. I couldn't sit still, and I felt like my heart was going to explode. Nevertheless, I was pumped. Once school got out, I immediately ran home to drop my backpack and completed homework off. Getting into something more comfortable to practice in, I grabbed my skateboard and rode out of the house. My outfit was a loose blue tee shirt with some rips here and there, some black denim shorts, and my old Vans. A baseball cap was placed on my head, so no one would recognize me easily.

I started off slow, to make sure I had the groove. Then I went a little faster. A little faster... until I was going at top speed. One would have thought that I was running away from something. I stretched my arms when I was on a straightaway. I hadn't felt this good in a long time. I grinded on the curbs and started doing some harder moves. Moving back to the main street's sidewalk, I quickly noticed that I was approaching a pink haired man, with amber eyes. Jumping off my board, I flipped over said man, before landing back on my skateboard. It kept moving along, so I voiced a quick "Sorry!" However, my speed did not falter. I noticed that it didn't after I looked back to the front of me. I turned that corner at lightning speed, and I flipped over a grown ass man!! Making my way to the skate park, I started to practice my technique.

I did my usual routine when I was back in the States. First, I would do as many Rock n' Rolls, until I would biff it. Then I would do a couple Disasters, a one eighty ollie landing on the center of the board with the front trucks in the ramp and the back trucks on the deck. I remembered how many boards I broke from doing this move, so I only did a couple. After getting off the ramps, I would do more than enough Gazelle Flips and Spins, before doing what I wanted.

As I was on the ramps, I felt like I was being watched intensely. Looking for the eyes, my (E/C) ones made eye contact with a pair of amber and crystal blue. Getting off the ramp, I held my board tightly, feeling a little embarrassed that someone saw. "(Y/N), is that you?"

"Hi Reki, and hello to you too, Langa." I greeted, as the awkward atmosphere changed on a dime. Suddenly, a body pressed up against my own, as two arms wrapped around me tightly. Looking down, I gazed at Reki. I was more than shocked.

"That was incredible! The way you did those Gazelle flips were awesome!! You have to teach me sometime!!" Before I could even hope to respond, Reki interrupted, "And the way you were able to do Disasters?! That move is so hard, that even experts break their boards!! What did you mean when you said you practiced 'a little bit?'" I was too flustered to answer his questions. My eyes glanced over to Langa to see him just as impressed.