Chapter 12: Conflicted Feelings

It was a Saturday morning; I woke up bright and early before making some breakfast for my brother and I. Good old toast, eggs, and orange juice... My brother stomped out of his room and to the table. I shook my head in reminiscence, before placing the food in front of him. I grabbed my own plate before joining.

"Rough night?" I asked quietly, not wanting to disturb him all too much. He opened one eye to gaze at me before chuckling softly.

"Yeah... I didn't sleep at all. I feel like I was reanimated and brought back to life. I think I'm sick." We ate in silence, as the sunlight flooded through the window. We ate in peace before he decided to speak again, "(Y/N)." I looked up from my meal, "You're planning on racing the guy who challenged you last night, aren't you?" He asked, as I froze. My utensils remained, stationed in suspension, as I looked down at my food. My brother groaned softly, knowing what the answer was. "(Y/N), I promised ma that I'd watch after you."

"I know."

"The guy who challenged you last night... he's no good. He's a cheating bastard and doesn't even deserve a skateboard. He's slimy, perverted, and will not hesitate to throw you off the ledge..." There was a moment of silence, as I weighed my options. "That guy has sent people to the hospital. He's sent me to the hospital! I don't want you to go through that."

"Is that why you didn't sleep? You were worrying about me?"

"You're my sister, it's my job." He smiled, as I reciprocated the action, however, he knew that my mind was set. The very presence of this competitor's nature made my blood boil. He was no different than Bombshell. Therefore, deserved to be humiliated. "I know I can't stop you from doing what you want, but... I just want you to be careful if you're going to go through with it."

"Thanks JoJo. But I'm going to see this through..." My brother gave me a concerned expression, obviously worried about my wellbeing. Finishing breakfast, my brother left for work, as I stayed at the house to clean. Cleaning was a good time to reflect. As I swept the floor, I wondered about the coming beef, with the rando. 'How does he cheat?' I wondered, continuing to do the chores. Once the house was clean, I headed out of the house with Victory Curls's board. The skatepark was empty, as it usually was during noon. Practicing some Japan Airs, I quickly became unresponsive to everything around me. Eventually, near dusk, I took a water break, before staring into nothing.

"(Y/N)?" Someone questioned. I looked over my shoulder to see a familiar pink-haired male, with a fan over his lips.

"Hey, Mr. Sakurayashiki..." I greeted, before going back to whatever I was staring at. Kaoru opted to sit next to me on the bench. We sat there in silence for a while before he spoke.

"You don't have to call me by my surname. You are allowed to say my first name if you would please." Kaoru voiced softly, yet in a firm manner. I apologized quickly, before we were left in a brief silence, "Are you planning on going against Mantis?" I shrugged my shoulders, hugging as much of my skateboard to my chest as I could. "You better decide. After all, the race is in a couple hours."

"Hey Kaoru, can I ask you something? You seem like you have wisdom to share." He allowed me to do so, "Hypothetically... what if you once liked something, like you couldn't go one day without doing the very thing you love the most, but you ended up ruining it for yourself and everyone around you. And then you are thrown back into it, still feeling sorrowful and angry for your lapse of judgement, you're error. Do you go back to it for comfort, or do you let it go to pursue something else?"

"You act like you are facing this problem as we speak (Y/N)." Kaoru voiced, glancing over to my figure.

"Maybe because I am." I retorted softly, still looking out to the horizon. The sun was bright and was setting upon Okinawa. I always loved basking in the sun's rays. It reminded me of happier time. A tranquil time. I fondly remembered running through open plains of uncut grass. It may have been bristly and dead, instead of a soft, emerald green, but I was still fond of it, more than anyone could know. Trees lined up in the pasture, as I would pretend to be a forest nymph among the woodland creatures. I distinctly remembered picking flowers before giving each to my brother, mother, and father. Sometimes, I wish I stayed a child. No rules. Little to responsibility. And above all, the chance to live out a new day with great happiness and joy.