Chapter 29: Blue Skies

'This morning was something. A little snow lay on the ground. The sun floated in a clear blue sky. The sea was blue, and blue-green, as far as the eye could see. Scarcely a ripple. Calm. I dressed and went for a walk — determined not to return until I took in what Nature had to offer. I passed close to some old, bent-over trees. Crossed a field strewn with rocks where snow had drifted. Kept going until I reached the bluff. Where I gazed at the sea, and the sky, and the gulls wheeling over the white beach far below. All lovely. All bathed in a pure cold light. But, as usual, my thoughts began to wander. I had to will myself to see what I was seeing and nothing else. I had to tell myself this is what mattered, not the other. For a minute or two it crowded out the usual musings on what was right, and what was wrong — duty, tender memories, thoughts of death, how I should treat with my former wife. All the things I hoped would go away this morning. The stuff I live with every day. What I've trampled on in order to stay alive. But for a minute or two I did forget myself and everything else. I know I did. For when I turned back I didn't know where I was. Until some birds rose up from the gnarled trees. And flew in the direction I needed to be going.'

-Raymond Carver

As I finished up undesired homework, I listened to my favorite 80s songs. I bopped my head to the tune as I became more lost in the music than my work. It was a normal Sunday, consisting of my brother going to work and me cleaning the house. It wasn't much of a mess, so I got done rather quickly. As one of the songs ended, I heard a knock on the door. Pausing the newly played song, I went to the door and looked through the small peephole. A familiar head of light blue hair met my gaze before I enthusiastically opened the door. "Hey Langa, what are doing here?" A moment of unrelenting silence.

"I... uh... wanted to hang out. Reki is busy so..." Langa muttered, tightening his hold on the Reki L Two S. The abominable snowman was in my view. I let out a soft giggle, before signaling him to come inside. It took a moment, but he finally got what I was throwing at him. "Thank you." I closed the door, before getting him situated on the couch.

"So... what did you want to do?" I asked, going in and out of rooms. Something told me that we were inevitably going to afternoon 'S' or to the skatepark. Getting into some black leggings and a decently clean shirt, I looked back into the living room to see if Langa was still there. Indeed, he was, however, he was looking at some photographs my brother had hung up. Most of them were him and his friends, but there was one wall of some of our memories. I snuck behind the blue-haired boy, before glancing at the pictures. One was of me learning how to ride a bike for the first time. I remembered that day pretty well, but not enough to reminisce about it for too long.

"You were cute when you were little, (Y/N)." Snow complimented, continuing to stare at each picture individually, giving each of them the time of day. A small blush appeared on my cheeks, before I brushed my hair and teeth. Grabbing my brother's board, I went back into the living room to find that Langa wasn't there. I opted to go upstairs. And who would've guessed that Langa would be staring at Bombshell's board. I was more flustered that he came into my room without permission, but Langa was innocent, so I didn't see much of a problem. "Was this your old board?" He questioned, before I nodded.

"Yeah... I broke it during my beef with that rando awhile back." I stated, gazing at the board next to him. Painful memories washed over my subconscious before I busied myself with picking up stray clothing. "You didn't answer my question before." He trailed his fingers over Bombshell's skateboard for a second, before turning to me in questioning. "I asked you what you wanted to do."

"Oh, that." A moment of silence, "I want to go to the skatepark... and get some poutine later." I smiled in his direction, before getting off my bed. I nodded enthusiastically, attempting to leave the room. Before I could however, Langa grabbed my brother's board out of my hands. He gazed it for a second, before picking of Victory Curls's board. "Can I have my board back?" He handed me Victory Curls's board. "I meant the other one."