Chapter 43: The Fated Tournament!

I woke up the next morning feeling tired and sore. I had little to no idea why, due to my current inactivity. Checking my phone, I saw a missed call from Langa, and an unread text sent five minutes ago. Said text asked me to come to school a little earlier. I got into my uniform, made my lunch, and headed to school. It was a quiet summer morning. The sun had only risen a couple hours ago. I still wasn't used to going to school during this time of year, but a small part of me didn't mind too much. Upon entering the classroom, I gazed in to look at a distraught blue-haired boy. "Good morning, Langa. I got here early, just like you asked." I smiled, as he continued to sit in his seat. "Still worried about Reki?" I questioned, as he nodded a little, "Well... I was thinking today, I would follow after Reki, try to get him to talk a little. Do you want me to come to the preliminary races tonight?" I questioned.

"Yeah, that would be nice of you." Langa smiled, before going back to his pouting state. I let out an inaudible sigh, before sitting down at my desk. I glanced behind me every so often at Reki's desk. 'I can't believe it actually happened... Don't overexaggerate when you don't know the severity. Langa might me over reacting... hopefully.' Students started flooding in, and finally Reki came in.

"Reki!" I spoke, getting up from my seat to approach the male, "Hey, you were almost late for class!" I smiled, analyzing his expression. His eyes were considerably duller, and he seemed completely unsure about himself.

"Yeah, sorry." He stated, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Hey, there's no need to apologize. It's not like I'm the teacher." He muttered another apology, as I glanced back at Langa. His crystal blue eyes peaked over at mine, giving me the courage to continue, "Hey Reki, I was planning on getting ice cream after school. Do you want to come with?" I offered. Before he could speak, I stopped him, "Don't worry about cost. It's my treat!" The boy nodded, before moving past me. I watched his staggered movements, feeling guilty for not helping him sooner. My goal today was to get him to smile genuinely. All the girls gave me knowing looks before the teacher came in to start homeroom.

After school, I packed up my things neatly. Reki wasn't in the room with me anymore. 'I hope he didn't go home...' I thought. As I walked out of the room, I ran into a figure. Looking up at the individual, I saw the familiar red-head, 'He stayed...' "You're such a klutz, (Y/N)." He rubbed the back of his neck, before looking away entirely.

"Sorry, I was in a hurry to get some ice cream with you. After all, we haven't really hung out since... Miyakojima! Even then, we were with the other guys. I love them but they are such a pain in the neck." I pointed out, before we started to walk down to the front entrance. I changed my shoes into some old converse before following after him. "Wait Reki, I got to get my skateboard. I'll be back, alright?" I left him at the front gate, before grabbing my board. Strapping it to my backpack, I went back to the entrance. Luckily, he was there. "Thanks for waiting!" Then we started to walk. It was quiet, comfortable, but lonesome.

"(Y/N)?" Reki asked, stopping in his tracks, I looked back at him in questioning, "Do you think... we could make a quick detour." I nodded, before he lead me below a rode. It was the spot where Langa touched that star graffiti. "Can you... try to do what Langa did?" I was about to ask him the reason, however, I knew damn well what it was. I went to the top before skating down. Needless to say, I failed. I didn't even get that high. I fell to the ground in agony.

"Ouch..." I mumbled, before sitting up. I had some scraps on my knees and hands.

"(Y/N)?! Are you alright?!!" Reki questioned loudly, as a flicker was revived in his eyes. I looked back to the star, before standing up again. Board in hand. I nodded, before asking him if I should do it again. Before I could let him answer, I went to the top of the hill again, before performing it once more. Somehow... I did worse. This time, a pair of arms caught me. "Jeez (Y/N)..." He huffed, as I let out a small chuckle. After that, we went right to my favorite ice cream place, which was American themed obviously. I ordered Reki and I a double banana split. He looked at it confusedly, before I urged him to eat. I tried my hardest to make him laugh, however, I only succeeded a handful of times. I witnessed the light in his eyes flicker on and off multiple times. For the life of me, I just didn't know how to get him to feel better. At the end of our little date, I brought him to his front door, feeling unsure about the whole thing and about leaving him alone. Nevertheless, I was relieved to know that his family were in the house with him.