Chapter 50: The Letter

William Carmichael once wrote, 'Life turns on small choices. A last-minute decision to take a shortcut over a snowy pass. A shrugging dismissal of the odd-looking man in the long coat standing off to one side. A decision to postpone a physical exam till a less busy time. A word spoken with the best intentions. Looking back, after the lives are destroyed, the blood spilt, the families shattered, and even the courses of nations changed forever, the mistakes that started the doomsday clock ticking down often seem minor, even innocent-even virtuous. So easy to make. Anyone would give anything-no, everything-to go back and undo those mistakes. But life does not give us that chance. Like everyone else, we have no choice but to dangle from the hand of that clock, trying in vain to pull them backward as they tick inexorably toward zero.'

I've made my mistakes, and I've experienced my personal failures, over and over again. Time passes, people move. Like a river's flow, it never ends. A childish mind will turn to noble ambition. Young love will become deep affection. The clear water's surface reflects growth. One morning, I woke up and did my usual weekend routine. I did the chores, made my brother happy cereal, and continued until the house was completely clean. After wards, I would work on some homework before going out to meet up with my friends. I went out to check to mail that morning.

'Taxes... bills... Hm? What's this?' I thought. A single, white letter with a heart shaped sticker on the back. My cheeks went pink, before I went back into the house to read it. My brother had left early that morning, so I was purely alone.

...

Dear (Y/N),

No one has brought so much happiness to my life as you have. In your company, I find love that I have never known before. I can't imagine what my life would be without you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you by my side. You have given me so much love and encouragement that I don't think I will be able to return all that to you. You have been lighting up the dark and bringing joy to my heart. When I am with you, I feel alive and strong.

I know we've only known each other for a few months now, but I've just got to let you know how I feel. From the first day we met, it was like I've known you forever. You were so wonderful, and you made me feel at ease right away. That's the kind of person you are, though, nice to everyone. Anyway, it just makes me realize how special you truly are.

So, I'm kind of nervous about saying this, but here goes. I really like you. Not just as my friend, but as a girl that I'd like to be my girlfriend. Maybe I should have waited for you to say something first, but I just couldn't wait any longer. I've wanted to tell you for weeks, but I didn't have the courage until now. I hope you feel the same way about me.

I love you, (Y/N) (L/N). Every part of you. I want to be with you. As simple as that. Meet me at this address, on the date listed below. Hopefully, I'll see you there.

From, your SecretAdmirer