Chapter 44: We Were Special Back Then

I got my homework done, before getting a text from Kojiro. Heading to his restaurant, I walked in despite the sign saying 'closed.' In there was Kaoru and obviously the man meat himself.

"Hey, glad to see you could make it." As I sat down, I glanced over at Kaoru. A meal was suddenly placed in front of me. It was my favorite dish, "Here you are, (Y/N). Eat up."

"You didn't have to-" I was about to say, before Kojiro cut me off again.

"Don't worry about it. Besides, I love cooking for you~" He winked. A small blush appeared on my cheeks before I took the first bite.

"You guys did wonderful last night. Count me impressed that you beat Adam's record, Kaoru." He hummed out of affirmation, before I looked in Kojiro's direction as well, "Your race against Langa was cool too, though, you weren't trying all that hard, were you?" I giggled, before I continued to munch away at the dish. The atmosphere was still and thick. 'Now it's Cherry and Joe too?' I thought, 'I guess it's just Adam Syndrome.' There was a moment of silence, before Kojiro decided to say something.

"I bet Adam's skating alone in the dark like a loser."

"Don't be so ridiculous. Everyone is alone when they practice." Kaoru stated flatly, before Kojiro corrected himself.

"It was only a metaphor, dummy. It's like he automatically assumes everyone's his enemy. He doesn't even give anyone the chance to get to know him. It's kinda sad." I looked up from my food to glance at Joe. I was thrown off a balance. I've worked for him for over two weeks, and yet... I feel that Joe is somewhat close to that. In all that time, he didn't bother talking about himself, unless I pushed him. He constantly wanted to hear me speak. Am I Adam's enemy? Either answer, then what about Langa? Is Langa Adam's enemy?

"How do you know he does that?" Kaoru questioned genuinely.

"It's just a hunch." Joe stated, looking away coolly. Feeling a blush rise to my cheeks, I stared back down at my meal. Kaoru, however, wasn't happy with Joe's answer.

"I can't believe I was fool enough to ask you." He muttered, his hand over his pretty face. Kojiro slammed his fists against the counter before starting another argument with Cherry Blossom.

"Why are you complaining when it was one of my hunches that found your lost wallet on our social studies trip back in the day?!" He yelled. Tick marks appeared on Kaoru's forehead, as I distracted myself with something entirely different.

"Well your cute hunch is not the reason we found it! You led us to a random restaurant in LA!" Kaoru corrected.

"Well, what about the bar in Paris?" Joe questioned. 'Wait they went to France?!'

"I created the itinerary for our night out!" Kaoru finished, before I placed a hand on his shoulder lovingly. I gifted him a small smile before gazing over to Joe.

"Kaoru, I think Kojiro's hunch is right for once." I back away, before propping my head up with my hands, "I've raced against Adam, unlike most people, and have survived it. He is everything I hate about... skateboarders like him. He stands on the mountain alone, not having anyone beside him. Trust me, pity is the last emotion I feel for him... but I've witnessed someone like him before." I stated.

"Really?" Kaoru questioned, before I nodded my head, "Speaking of which (Y/N), you moved away from America for a reason right? What was it?"

"JoJo told me it was a crazy ex, but I don't really believe your brother too much." Kojiro cut in before Kaoru and himself took a gander in my direction.

"He was just covering me was all." I smiled, before remaining silent, "... If I tell you why I moved, would you tell me why you want to race against Adam so bad?" I queried, as Cherry's eyes widened a little, "Part me thinks it is to avenge my brother... but it seems a little more personal to me." The pink-haired calligrapher stayed quiet, "Alright, suit yourself."