Chapter 40: Crossroads

I returned back home, feeling more than uneasy, however, the moment of pity and uncertainly long ended. It was still summer break, and I was planning on spending it with my friends. A day after I got back, I checked in with Langa and Reki and asked them if they wanted to hang out. Unfortunately for myself, they told me they were busy. I went to the skatepark anyway, feeling a little melancholic.

I practiced some of my tricks for a couple hours before a voice yelled out to me. "(Y/N)!" Stopping, I turned around to see Joe running up to me. He was in his casual attire, as a bag of groceries and his skateboard was carried by his arms, "I didn't know you got back."

"I got home yesterday, so I haven't been back in Okinawa for too long. Did you go grocery shopping?" I questioned, directing my gaze back to the bag. Kojiro followed my eyes.

"Yeah, I was out of a couple things at home." He stated, "Hey, you and your brother should come over for dinner. You probably don't feel like cooking, huh?" I thought about it for a moment, before remembering something important.

"My brother has to work overtime tonight..." I huffed out, as the green-haired chef's gaze dropped a little out of disappointment, "But, I really don't want to cook, so maybe I can come over to get a bite to eat. After all, it sounds nice to have dinner with you Kojiro." I walked over to a nearby bench to get some water before drinking half of it. "Besides... I feel like talking to one of my friends tonight. I asked Reki and Langa to come to the skatepark today, but they said they were busy." I plopped down on the bench, as Joe followed suit. "I haven't seen Kaoru, Miya, or Hiromi either, so they're out too. I guess I wasn't gone too long, but it felt like a million years."

"Why's that?" Joe chuckled, as I thought about my answer.

"I guess... I'm just abstinent about growing up." I admitted, sitting up to look out into the sky, "After all, one day I'm going to graduate from high school. What then? Do I stay in Japan, or do I go back to America? And even when I make that decision, do I get married? Do I find a career for myself? And if so, what kind? It all frustrates me, and I am worried about it. Me looking at colleges reminded me that, I guess." I looked back in Joe direction, as he smiled at me softly. "What are you smiling about?" I grinned back.

"You don't need to figure anything out just yet. I mean, look at me. At your age, I didn't know what to do with my life either. Once high school was over, I made the quick decision to go to a culinary school in Italy. After that, I made an authentic Italian restaurant in Okinawa, and I'm where I am now." He poured out, as I gazed at his profile.

"Nah, I don't really want to work in food... Besides, where you are now is being a skateboarding hoe." I stated, making Joe jolt out of his calm persona.

"That's not what I meant!" He yelled out, before a small chuckle escaped past my lips.

"I know. I was kidding." I glanced back to the sky, "I'm not too sure about the future, but I'm not too worried. Being rich, famous, and good looking aren't really what I'm looking for in a life. Reki once asked me the question, 'what is true happiness?' Obviously, I didn't answer. I still have little to no clue what the solution may be, however, maybe that's a good thing." I reminisced, grinning at the male again. He was silent for a moment, not necessarily knowing what to say. However, he returned the expression that I was showing. "Um..." I hummed out, "I think I'm going to head home super quick. Would you wait here for me?"

"What about we head to your brother's place together. I wouldn't want to be stood-up!" He joked, as I placed down my board. He did the same.

"Have you ever been stood-up before?" I questioned jokingly.

"Not necessarily~" Kojiro winked, as we started to ride back to the house. As we rode along, I found myself looking at Kojiro's board. 'Those shark teeth...' At a certain point, he followed my gaze down to his board. "Is there something wrong?"