Thirty-Three

Kalanie

"She's gonna be starting Pre-K in August." Kalanie frowned. "What? Did I say she could go to school?" Amir questioned.

"Boy it's not up to you." She shook her head. He smacked his lips. "Im her daddy right?" He asked. "Amir , she has to start school. I don't want her to be behind." Kalanie explained.

"I know, it's just....my baby. She so little." He sighed. "she'll be ok." Kalanie sat on his lap. He wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her cheek.

"Go wake her up." Amir spoke. Kalanie smiled. "when she was little, I used to wake her up just to play with her." She remembered.

"I do that to." He smiled hearing small footsteps hit the wood floor. Soon joy ran in the living room. She paused and start wiping her eyes.

"Come here , babygirl." Amir spoke. She looked up and a smile formed as she ran over to her parents.

"Move mommy." She spoke as she tried to push kalanie off of amirs lap. She laughed as amir smiled.

"Move kalanie." He pushed her. She gasped as she dramatically fell on the floor.

She sat on the floor watching as joy smiled while climbing on to his lap.

Joy cheesed as she laid her head on her daddy's chest. Amir kissed her cheek.

"I'm finna cook. What you want- nevermind." She mumbled standing up.

"Nah , I want....I want some oxtails and rice." He explained. "Ok." She stood up.

Soon joy was back asleep as kalanie cooked. Amir placed her upstairs and banging on the door was heard.

"Oh shit. I know that sound." Amir sighed. Kalanie glanced at him as she paused. "Go open the door." Amir told her.

She threw her head back hoping it wasn't who she thought it was. She walked to the door and unlocked the door and just as she thought police and one K9 dog rushed into the house.

"We're looking for Amir Green." They spoke. Kalanie just stood there. "FOUND EM." One of them yelled.

"Are you the owner of this house?" An officer asked. Kalanie shook her head no.

Kalanie sighed watching them cuff amir. "Your being arrested for the murder of Jerome Freeman." He explained.

Kalanies heart dropped and her eyes stung.

Murder?

Jerome?

She didn't care for Jerome, but she didn't think amir had to kill him. And she knew that if amir got arrested and charged for murder, he would never be coming back out in her or joys lifetime.

Amir kept his eyes off of kalanie as a few officers escorted him out. Another officer with the K9 continued to search the house.

"DADDYYY."

Kalanies heart dropped hearing joys voice. She began to rush upstairs but another officer held her back.

"Ma'am, stay calm." He spoke. "My daughter's up there." She explained.

"Alright, lead me to the room." He explained. She headed upstairs and he followed behind her to joys room.

Joy ran to kalanie when she seen her. Kalanie held joy close and sat on the bed as the officer stood in the doorway watching them.

Kalanie knew they couldn't hold amir because they didn't mirandize him or read him his rights, and they clearly didn't have a warrant to search the place.

•••••••••• amir

"Would you like a glass of water?" The detective asked while pushing a glass of water forward on the table.

I shook my head no, already knowing what he wanted. My fingerprints.

Ian do it , but I still ain't giving them shit.

"A cigarette?" He asked. "Do I look like I smoke cigarettes?" I mugged. He sighed standing up.

"How'd you know Jerome Freeman?" He asked. "He was my baby mamas ex." He explained.

"And didn't you two once have an altercation on January 17th of 2018?" He asked.

I shrugged. "Yeah." I mumbled.

I'm saying too much.

"And what caused this altercation?"