PROLOGUE

KASUMI WAS DESTINED to do something great. When she was born, her parents knew she was a firebender. She had that spark in her eyes.

A couple months later, she fell very ill. Her life was fading away. Her mother and father rushed her to the clinic. It was very hot that day. The sun's rays rippled down. Kasumi's eyes fell shut. Her parents knew she was dying.

In a desperate attempt to save her life, her mother prayed to the spirits, clutching her child. The sun beamed brightly, blinding everyone. A ray of light shone onto Kasumi.

Her hair started glowing amber and her eyes shone yellow. The Sun Spirit had given her life.

When Kasumi grew up, she knew that she was lucky to be alive. If it weren't for the Sun Spirit's kindness, she'd die as a baby. She was forever grateful to the Spirit and prayed and meditated for the spirit often...

THE VISION.

When she was eight years old, Kasumi was drawing. She was sat on top of a flat rock, the sun shining on her. Her eyes closed for a moment and when they opened, she saw a twisting orange dragon in front of her. The dragon transformed into a gorgeous woman, with curly red hair, dark mahogany skin and white face tattoos.

"Kasumi." the woman said.

"How do you know my name?"

"I am the Sun Spirit, Heia."

Kasumi shivered. "Why are you here?" Heia closed Kasumi's eyes with her fingers.

"The sun helps firebenders." Heia said. "I cannot help you reach your goal, but I can tell you what you can do and I can give you a gift."

"What is my goal?"

Heia whispered something in an ancient language and put her hand on Kasumi's forehead.

Kasumi SAW.

A boy with an arrow on his head, flying on a glider, perhaps? A girl, most likely Water Tribe, manipulating water around her. A boy, probably Water Tribe as well, sharpening a boomerang. Another boy with striking green eyes and a beautiful girl with ivory hair and brown skin stood to the side, they looked calm, but also quite sad.

Another girl with greyish green eyes and black hair. She was bending pillars of rock. Her little sister, Jasmine, was sitting with the boomerang boy. She looked older and was laughing with him. The last person was a girl with white makeup and golden fans.

They all stood around talking and laughing, while Kasumi and the arrow boy were looking at a large silhouette of a man firebending. She looked older, in her teenage years. She was one of them. But who were they?

Her eyes opened. Heia stared at her, steadily. "These will be your people. The ones you will love and trust. Give it time. You are destined for greatness."

"But who are they? I don't know them!" Kasumi asked, fear creeping into her mind.

"Patience. A few years, and you'll find out. I can tell you if you are on the right path or not. Time is running out. I have given you a gift. Check your firebending. Goodbye, Kasumi." And with that Heia disappeared, fading away. Kasumi created a small flame in the palm of her hand. It was purple. Heia had gifted her purple fire.

What did all that mean?

Kasumi did not really know. She understood that she was going to help the world somehow, and the people in the vision were going to be her allies. She'd get there one day.

A few months after the vision, the worst possible thing happened.

Kasumi's life changed. She had lived in a decent sized Earth Kindgom village with her mother and father and his family. Once she, her sister and her parents were in a field having a picnic, and.. a group of Fire Nation soldiers ran towards them.

They took one look at the Earth Kindgom clothes they were wearing and got into a fighting position. Hei, Kasumi's father, immediately started fighting with the soldiers. "JU, KASUMI, JASMINE, RUN!"

Jasmine was snatched by a soldier. Ju screamed for her child, but Hei told her to leave and that he'd get Jasmine.

"Daddy.. I'm scared.." Jasmine squeaked. Hei turned around quickly.

"Remember, I love you all." he whispered, before turning back and earthbending a rock into a soldiers chest.

Ju, Kasumi's mother, grabbed her little girl's hand and ran as fast as she could to the village. She informed the townspeople about the soldiers and the earthbenders quickly defeated them. Ju walked back out on the field, and saw her husband's dead body. Jasmine was nowhere to be seen. She crouched down over his body and cried softly. For Hei, for Jasmine.

How would she survive without her husband and her child?

Hei's sister and her husband walked towards Ju, along with Kasumi. Ju quickly covered her husband's body, concealing it from Kasumi. Lily, Hei's sister saw the body, and started sobbing uncontrollably. "He's dead!" she gasped, thick tears streaming down her face.

"Who's dead?" Kasumi asked, looking up at her crying aunt. Lily's husband, Han, looked down and winced at the little girl. Her head peered around and she saw her father's dead body.

She ran over and shook him. "Dad? Dad!" she exclaimed. "Wake up!"

"He's not going to wake up, dear." Ju whispered, pulling Kasumi in for a hug. "He's gone."

"Where's Jasmine?"

"She's gone, as well."

Kasumi started crying and crying and crying. She was eventually taken away by her uncle.

The funeral was a day later. Hei was buried underneath the pink weeping cherry tree he adored. The next day, Kasumi was told to pack her things, as they would be leaving. Ju decided it was best that they left that village. She got a letter from her sister and mother, who offered her and Kasumi to come live with them on Kyoshi Island, where Ju was originally from. She used to be a Kyoshi Warrior.

Kasumi's aunt, uncle and two cousins moved to Ba Sing Se, realising that it was the safest place for them. They would meet each other one day, one day, but it would be a while.

In two weeks, Ju and Kasumi had made it to Kyoshi Island. They shared a home with Ju's sister, Rora, and Kasumi's grandmother, Zhilan. She was a firebender, but she escaped the Fire Nation, when she was just fifteen. Kasumi was thirteen when both her father and sister left her life.

Four years had passed, and Kasumi had gotten used to life on Kyoshi. Jasmine was still on her mind. She had hope that maybe she was still alive, because she was there in the vision. She became close friends with a girl called Suki. She was one of the girls from the vision. Usually, they'd do casual Kyoshi training. Kasumi didn't need to do formal training, since she wasn't going to become a Kyoshi Warrior.

Three things stayed in her mind. One, was her father's death. Two, Jasmine's kidnapping and her potential survival. There was no body and they hadn't bothered to take Hei's, so there was a chance she was alive. And three, was the vision. Years had passed, and she had only met Suki, from the vision. Why was it taking so long? Kasumi could only wait. But it was okay, because her destiny was going to come soon. One way or another.

She had a marriage proposal from Kyoshi's most sought after man, her best friend, Akio. He was two years older than her and quite handsome, in fact. She did not have marriage in her mind, so she said she would think about it. This was right before three people stumbled onto their island. One being the Avatar.

AUTHOR'S NOTE!

It's nice to meet you guys! And I'm glad that you're reading this 😭 The chapter is short😏, but that's because it's basically an introduction. I don't really have much to say, except enjoy this book.