CHAPTER 12 | fortunes and fate

SOKKA WAS STRUGGLING to catch a fish. "You're so gonna be dinner!" he said, grabbing a fishing pole and swinging it. "Where's the line?!"

"Oh." Aang said. "I didn't think you would need it, Sokka." He held out a woven necklace with a pink flower.

"Ah, it's all tangled!" Sokka groaned.

"Not tangled, woven." Aang replied. "I made you a necklace, Katara.I thought since you lost your other one.."

He passed it over to her, so that she could take a look. "Thanks, Aang!" she said. "I love it."

"Great, Aang. Maybe instead of saving the world, you can go into the jewerly-making business!" Sokka scoffed.

"I don't see why I can't do both." he chimed. Sokka turned around and launched the pole at the fish. It would've hit Kasumi if she didn't dodge.

"Stop taunting me, dumb fish!" Sokka screamed, running into the water with his small knife.

"So how do I look?" Katara asked, stepping forward. Aang blushed, staring at the water tribe girl in front of him.

"You mean all of you, or just your neck? I mean, because they both look great!" Aang mumbled.

Sokka finally had a hold of the fish, with a bit of help from Kasumi. "Smoochie, smoochie. Someone's in love." he teased.

The fish wriggled out of his grasp and smacked him in the face, making him fall into Kasumi. "You'll just have to be dinner!"

She threw him off, but he chucked his arms around her hips and carried her onto the sand. He was basically on top of her. She looked up at him, breathing a little heavy and blushing.  His mind was filled with things he shouldn't be thinking of. He shook his head and helped her up.

"Stop teasing him, Sokka." Katara said. "Aang's just a good friend, a sweet little guy, just like Momo." Aang's smile faded at that comment.

That boy was down bad.

He hopped onto a rock, and pointed at a man being attacked by a platypus bear. The man seemed completely calm about what was happening and just dodged the platypus bear's attacks.

The group shouted ideas on how to handle the situation, only to be ignored. "It'll be just fine!" the man reassured them. He didn't look scared, not even the slightest.

The platypus bear continued to attack the man, but he still remained calm, gently moving in between of the attacks. Appa came up behind the bear and roared, causing it the lay an egg and run away, terrified. Sokka picked up the egg.

"Mm, lunch." he sighed, dreamily. He took a big sniff of the egg and held it protectively. "Lucky for you we came along."

"Thanks, but everything was already under control." the man said. "Aunt Wu predicted I'd have a safe journey."

"Aunt Who?"

"No, Aunt Wu. She's the fortune teller from my village." explained the man. "Awful nice knowing your future."

"Wow, it must be." Katara sighed. "That explains why you were so calm!"

"But the fortune teller was wrong! You didn't have a safe journey, you were almost killed!" Sokka said.

"But I wasn't!" the man chimed. "Alright, have a good one. Oh, and Aunt Wu said, if I met any travellers, to give them this." He passed Aang a package in white paper, tied with some string.

"Maybe we should go see Aunt Wu and learn our fortunes." Katara suggested. "It'll be fun!"

"Oh, come on. Fortune telling is nonsense." Sokka said, right beside him Aang was opening the package.