CHAPTER 18 | general fong

SOKKA FELT BETRAYED. Kasumi had been a firebender this whole time and didn't tell any of them! He trusted her, and thought that she trusted him, but obviously not. How could she hide something like that from them?!

He was so mad at her, but just wanted to give her a huge hug as well. Zhao had hit her with his fire, again. This time, the burn was on her chest, which was more dangerous. Yes, Sokka was furious with her, but he didn't want Kasumi to die. After all, he still loved her, even if she didn't love him back.

He thought about the way she looked at Yue and the way she held her, as if she was everything in her eyes. It was all so confusing. Why couldn't Kasumi just have told them, that she was a firebender? That way, they wouldn't all be mad at her.

Aang was really disappointed. Katara was mad, but she wasn't really mad. Sokka was really angry. He didn't know how to feel about her right now. One minute, he was in love with her and the other minute he wanted to her to just leave.

Things were hard right now, with Yue dying and Kasumi almost following in her direction. He had clutched her unconscious body and cried on and on. He decided he wasn't going to speak to her unless needed. Distant. He was going to be distant.

He opened the door to the room Kasumi and Katara were in to find Kasumi in only her underclothes, and Katara healing the burn in her chest. He shook his head and slammed the door. They emerged twenty minutes later. Kasumi walked out, wearing the tunic he had gotten her. Sokka didn't want to see her in it right now. He just closed his eyes and turned right back around.

When Kasumi was changing, she looked in the mirror and realized that she had two white strands of hair at the front. It must've been Yue. Heia wouldn't give her something like that.

Speaking of Heia, she was going to tell the others everything, including about the Sun Spirit. Kasumi thought for a seecond. Would she meet the same fate as Yue? Was she destined to take Heia's place? Her stomach churned. They were on a boat, so that was probably why.

She gathered Aang, Sokka and Katara below deck in the small dining room, to talk. Plates of food were lain out in front of them. Sokka grabbed a plate and ate like there was no tomorrow. Kasumi linked her hands together. "So guys, you all know now." she said, awkwardly laughing.

"Yeah, we found out, because you used your firebending against Zhao, not because you were bothered to tell us." Sokka replied.

"You don't understand, Sokka I-" Kasumi started.

"Don't use that excuse, Kasumi." Katara said, she had no life in her voice. It was usually bouncy and now it was just flat.

"Kasumi, you could've told us. Why didn't you tell us?" Aang asked, sipping a cup of steaming ginger tea.

She played with her hands for a moment. "I was scared, okay?!" she said.

"What..?"

"I was scared! Of how you would react, of how you would see me! I didn't want you guys to even know that I had Fire Nation blood, let alone that I was a firebender!" she exclaimed. "People in this world will judge you based on where you're from. I've never even stepped foot in the Fire Nation, yet I've been hated on." Kasumi looked straight at Sokka. "I have more to tell you."

"What is it gonna be? Are you gonna tell us that you're secretly the Avatar and Zuko is your long-lost brother?!" Sokka remarked.

"No." Kasumi replied, calmly. "When I was a baby, I was really ill. My parents rushed me to the clinic but on the way the sun shone down on me. The Sun Spirit, Heia, had saved my life."

"Like Yue, but with the sun." Katara said.

"Yeah. And then something strange happened to me, when I was eight." she continued. "I was sitting on a rock, meditating, when some orange dragon appeared in front of me. The dragon morphed into a woman, curly red hair and dark skin, and she told me she would help me."