CHAPTER 22 | kyoshi's trial

SOKKA HAD ASKED Kasumi to sleep next to him. After the vision he had at the swamp, he was scared for her. He didn't want to be responsible for her pain. On top of that, she was connected to the Sun Spirit. What if she was needed like Yue, and died? Sokka couldn't bear the thought. He woke up, and felt Kasumi's body heat.

Her body was always so warm. She opened her eyes and looked up at him, admiring his features. He had hit a growth spurt recently, Kasumi thought, because his voice had gotten a bit deeper and he'd grown quite taller as well. He was leaner and his features, like his jawline, were more defined, less childish. They were the same height, when they first met, and now he was almost a head taller.

Akio had always been extremely tall. Kasumi could only reach his shoulders, and he used to rest his arms on her shoulders, to annoy her. She missed him very much. His lovely green eyes, and his dark brown and adorably ruffled hair. It was fluffy, almost like feathers, and Kasumi would love touching it. He had a beautiful face as well, a lot of girls and boys fawned over him. He was handsome, and kind. He always considered Kasumi's feelings and when Kasumi didn't accept or decline his proposal, he just smiled and told her to take her time.

Sokka cared for her as well, though. Kasumi could tell, when he'd constantly nag her about her bandage and that awful drink. She could tell when he always shielded her, using his own body, or when he let her sleep with him. Sokka shook her a bit.

"You weren't listening, were you?" he asked. Kasumi didn't even realise Sokka had started talking.

"No, not really." she replied, quietly.

"What were you thinking about?"

"The people I love."

Sokka looked into her eyes. "Am I one of those people?"

"Yes." Kasumi answered. "You are." She was about to say something else, when she was interrupted by something.

Soldiers riding war rhinos surrounded them group. Katara and Aang were awake at this point. "Give up." A man growled. "You're completely surrounded."

Sokka grabbed Kasumi's hand and pulled her towards Appa, dodging flaming arrows hurtling at them. Katara ran back to get her waterbending scrolls and Aang flew back to get his staff. He ran back with Katara and quickly flew away on Appa.

The man who had told them to give up, sent fire shooting at them. They barely missed. Sokka looked back. "My boomerang!" he yelled.

"There's no time!" Katara yelled back.

"So there's time to get your scrolls, and time to get your staff, but no time for my boomerang!"

"That's correct!"

Aang decided that they should stop by a town, to get some supplies at a stall

Aang decided that they should stop by a town, to get some supplies at a stall. "I'm sorry about your boomerang." Aang said.

"I've feel like I've lost a part of my identity." Sokka told him. "Imagine if your lost your arrow, if Kasumi lost all her fancy clothes and knives, or if Katara lost her hair loopies." Katara gave Sokka a quick hug to comfort him.