CHAPTER 40 | the invasion

KASUMI AND SOKKA were looking at some maps. Sokka looked stressed, rubbing his eyes and not taking his eyes off the papers. Kasumi passed him a cup of oolong tea, which he took quick sips out of.

She was helping him into his uniform, when Katara looked at the two and down at Sokka. "Why do you have scratches on your back?" she asked. Kasumi's face turned a dark red and turned the other way.

"Oh, I'm pretty sure there were pebbles in my sleeping bag or something." Sokka said, shrugging. Katara glanced at her brother and then to his girlfriend, suspicious. Then, she looked at the sea and saw a cloud of fog.

"Oh, no." she sighed. "Sokka, do you think the fog will delay the invasion?"

He looked up from his maps and smiled. "No, that is the invasion."

A bunch of Water Tribe ships came into view. Hakoda stepped onto the shore and was greeted by his two children.

"We're you able to locate everyone I told you to find?" Sokka asked.

"I did, but I'm a little worried, Sokka." Hakoda replied. He glanced over at the swampbenders and sighed. "Some of these men aren't exactly the warrior type."

Huan and some others from the Northern Air Temple also made an appearance. Kasumi gave the boy a hug, and Sokka walked over to the two to place a kiss on his girlfriend's lips. He then lifted her into his arms, for Huan to see.

"Oh, you're dating." Huan said. "Congratulations." He and Sokka shook hands. Sokka was creating some sort of tension, which was dumb, because Kasumi didn't have any romantic feelings toward Huan.

Even The Boulder and The Hippo showed up. "You guys here for a rematch?" Toph spat.

"Negatory." The Boulder boomed. "The Boulder and The Hippo no longer fight for others' entertainment. Now, we fight for our kingdom!"

Sokka had to explain the plan with the others. He was nervous, but hearing Kasumi's words of encouragement gave him some bravery. "Don't worry. You'll do great." Hakoda reassured him.

He took a deep breath and went up onto the podium. "Um.. So, as you know, today we're invading the Fire Nation. I mean, I know you that, cause otherwise why else would you be here? The Firelord's place is here." He pointed at a random map. "Uh wait."

He started to flick through all the other pieces of parchment, until he found the right map. "No, it's here. And, uh, there's an eclipse today. And Aang's going to fight the Firelord. And the firebenders won't have any fire to use, so that's good for us!" Kasumi could see how stressed out he was. It was like Aang with no sleep.

"And um- I'm sorry, let me start from the beginning. Katara and I discovered Aang frozen in an iceberg. Now I didn't like Aang at first, but I grew to love him over time." He took another deep breath. "And then we went to the Southern Air Temple and then Kyoshi Island, where I met Kasumi, my girlfriend. Isn't she great?" He started to ramble about the whole story. Hakoda stepped forward onto the podium.

"Thank you, Sokka." he said. "It's okay, why don't you take a break."

Sokka walked off and slumped down next to Kasumi. "I suck." he muttered. Kasumi cupped his cheek and rested her forehead on his.

"No, you're just nervous. Don't worry." she whispered.

"Let me just clarify a few points for everyone." Hakoda said. "Today is the Day of Black Sun. And I want to thank you all for your self sacrifice and your courage. There are two steps to the invasion. A naval stage, and then a land stage."

He continued explaining the whole plan, ending with everyone cheering. Sokka looked sad. It was his time and he screwed it up. Everyone was getting into their respective nation's clothing again.