CHAPTER 51 | together again

AANG HAD RECENTLY proposed to Katara and she had said yes. Their wedding was planned to take place in around two to three years, as they had to buy a house and fix it up, as well as plan the whole event. Not to mention that Aang was the Avatar, things were bound to be busy.

Jasmine and Toph stuck together. They were best friends, and planned to stay like that. Toph had become the police chief of Republic City, and Jasmine was her deputy. Toph had began dating a man called Kanto.

Jasmine had got into a relationship with a man named Kei. They really loved each other, and had been together for around a year. Kei was a policeman, so they saw a lot of each other, even at work.

Suki had become mayor of Kyoshi island. She was younger than past mayors, but the people of Kyoshi had faith in her. She was still the leader of the Kyoshi warriors, and even started dating one of them, a fierce and pretty hot warrior, Annchi.

Zuko had married Mai, officially making her Firelady Mai. They were planning on having a child, to carry on the bloodline and to take the throne after Zuko's death. Mai didn't want a child just yet. She told Zuko to wait a few years.

Kasumi had become pregnant, a year after she and Sokka got married. It was early, but didn't feel rushed. She was so happy that she was going to have a child. The couple decorated the nursery for the child, and bought a bunch of toys for it as well.

They were both so excited to welcome their child into the world. Ju paid Kasumi regular visits, checking up on her daughter and the child growing inside her. Ju was over the moon, and was eagerly waiting for her grandchild to arrive.

The worst happened to Kasumi. She gave birth to a stillborn baby boy. Her sobs ripped through Sokka's chest, as she clutched her child. He looked so much like his father. She had gone through so much just to have this happen to her?

She kissed the baby's head softly, and showed Sokka her child. He wanted to cry, but tried not to, for Kasumi's sake. This devastated him. It absolutely crushed him. They were both so happy and excited, only got this to happen. He couldn't even begin to imagine what sort of pain Kasumi was feeling.

The whole group was at the baby's funeral. They released some white butterflies in the baby's honor. Kasumi could not stop crying and blaming herself, but it wasn't her fault. Sokka wanted to cry as well, but tried to stay strong for his wife.

This event caused a rift in their marriage. Kasumi became more distant over the next few months, and would start crying randomly. Sokka would try her best to comfort her, but she refused any help. She would shout and argue with him over the smallest things. She didn't want to be rude to him, but the words just came out.

Kasumi still really loved Sokka, but she never wanted to be around him anymore. She'd avoid him like he was some deadly disease, and would also avoid physical contact from anyone. She just wasn't the same anymore.

Eventually, Sokka said that they should have a break and spend time apart from each other. Kasumi went to Ba Sing Se and spent her time with her aunts, mother and cousins. Her grandmother died a year before her wedding.

She had become an empty shell of her former self. During her time in Ba Sing Se, she'd visit Akio's grave and just roam around the city, however she'd always be back before nightfall.

The six long months they were apart killed Sokka. He longed to be with his wife again, but knew that she needed space and time to heal. He didn't know that Kasumi missed him and felt so guilty about the way she acted. Then one day, six and a half months of them being separated, Kasumi sent a short letter to Sokka.

Dear Sokka,

These six months have felt like years. I miss you so much. I was overwhelmed with sadness and anger, because of our baby. I shouldn't have taken it out on you, but I did and I sincerely apologise.

I've realised that I really can't be without you. This time I've spent here has taught me to channel my anger and sadness out, but not hurt others in the process. Please forgive me.

I will return to Republic City in two weeks. I still have a job there, remember? I don't need to stay in our apartment, if you don't want it. There are other places that can accommodate me.

I just hope this relieves some of the tension between us, since we will be working together. I want you to know, that I still love you, even if you don't love me back anymore.

From Kasumi.

Sokka received the letter two weeks after it was sent, three days before Kasumi arrived. He couldn't write a letter to reply to hers, since she wouldn't get it. He just waited for his wife to return, so that he could finally see her face again.

They saw each other at a council meeting. Kasumi felt awkward, and quite scared.

"Hello, Councilman Sokka." she said. She tried her hardest to not make eye contact.

"Kasumi.." Sokka whispered, pulling her close to him. He started to cry, and held onto her even tighter. "Don't leave me again."

"I won't." she whispered back, pressing her face into his chest. She pulled herself back and looked at his face, reaching out to touch his new beard. "You grew a beard!"

"Yeah.. I think I might shave it off." he sighed.

"No, no! Don't!" she exclaimed. "It looks cute." They had gone through the council meeting and walked out together.

"How have things been?" Sokka asked.

"It's been okay. I don't want to leave again, though." Kasumi answered.

"So where are you staying?" he questioned, concerned for his wife.

"Oh, just at this hotel I found, until I find proper housing." she responded.

"That's ridiculous! Why don't you just live in our apartment?" Sokka offered.

"I- I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable." she whispered.

"Me? Uncomfortable?!" Sokka laughed, not believing what his wife was saying. "Why would I be uncomfortable? And it's your home as much as it is mine."

"..Okay."

Kasumi would sleep in the master bedroom, while Sokka would sleep in the guest bedroom

Kasumi would sleep in the master bedroom, while Sokka would sleep in the guest bedroom. She eventually got more comfortable with him again, and they'd sleep in the same bed. Sokka had asked her if she didn't want kids anymore, but Kasumi started crying.

"Of course, I want children." she sobbed, letting Sokka wrap his arms around her. "I'm just scared something will go wrong."

"I promise you, if anything goes wrong, I'll try to help." Sokka said, letting his wife sit in his lap. "Even though there's not much I can do."

"I'm scared, Sokka." she rasped, dropping her face into her hands. "I'm so scared."

"Hey, I'll be there for you. I'll hold your hand, and help you through it." Sokka murmured, holding her hand and kissing it. "I love you so much, and if you don't want kids, I can respect that. It's your body, after all."

Kasumi looked up and smiled sadly. "I love you, Sokka. I'll think about having children, okay? I can't confirm that we will, but I'll keep it in my mind." she said.

"Really?" Sokka gasped. "Oh my spirits, you're amazing!"

Kasumi melted into her husband's arms, and let him place kisses all the way down her body. He really loved her.