CHAPTER 5 | hei bai

SOKKA POINTED SOMETHING out, when they were flying.

There was a huge patch of grey. "It's a like scar." Kasumi heard someone say. They landed and Aang crouched down. "I can't believe the Fire Nation would do something like this." The area was covered in soot. Charred trees everywhere. Aang sat in front one of the burnt trees, eyes closed, head lolling forward.

"Hey. Are you ready to be cheered up?" Katara asked. She chucked an acorn at Aang's head.

"Hey! How is that cheering me up?" Aang said, rubbing the area the acorn hit.

Sokka laughed. "Cheered me up!" Katara threw on acorn at him, as well. "Yeah, I probably deserved that." Kasumi went over to Aang and put her hand over the where the acorn was.

"You alright, angel?"

"Yeah, I guess so.."

"These acorns are everywhere, Aang." Kasumi said picking up one and showing it to him. "That means the forest will grow back. Every one of these will be a tall oak tree someday. And all the birds and animals that loved here will come back." She tenderly placed the acorn in his hand.

"Thanks Kasumi." He gave her a warm hug.

"Hey! Who are you?!" Sokka shouted. Kasumi whipped her head around and saw an old man wearing a green fur coat, hobbling towards us with his walking stick.

"When I saw that bison.. I thought it was impossible! But those markings..." his frail old voice said. "Are you the Avatar, child?"

Aang nodded.

"My village desperately needs your help."

The man lead them to his village. It was nothing amazing. Maybe a few dozen houses, lined up, with a huge hall at the back. The entire village was surrounded by walls, but a few of the houses were destroyed. They walked into the hall. Sokka was sort of reluctant at first.

"This young person is the Avatar." A man with a bun and a green robe faced the group. Kasumi figured that was most likely the chief of the village.

"So the rumours of your return are true." He bowed to Aang. "It is the greatest honour of a lifetime to be in your presence."

Aang bowed his head. "Nice to meet you too. So is there something I can help you with?"

"I'm.. not sure."

"Our village is in crisis! He's our only hope!" The old man exclaimed. "For the last few days at sunset, a spirit monster comes and attack our village. He is Hei Bai, the black and white spirit."

"Why is it attacking you?" Sokka asked, suspicious.

"We do not know." The Chief explained. "But each of the last three nights, he has abducted one of our own. We are especially fearful, because the winter solstice draws near."

Aang grabbed onto Kasumi's hand. "What happens then?" she questioned.

"As the solstice approaches, the natural world and spirit world grow closer and closer until the line between them is blurred completely."

"Hei Bai is already causing devastation and destruction. Once the solstice is here, there's no telling what will happen!"

"So what do you want me to do exactly?" Aang asked, Kasumi could sense the slight fear in his voice.

"Who better to resolve a crisis between our world and the spirit world, than the Avatar himself? You are the great bridge between man and spirits."

"Right.. That's me.." he said, unsurely. Kasumi squeezed his hand, to reassure him.