CHAPTER 25 | wan chi tong's library

THE GAANG HAD decided to have mini vacations. It would be a nice and quick break from all the stress. Katara had picked out the Misty Palms Oasis. Aang said he had been there before. He described it as a pristine, natural ice ground, one of natures wonders. There would be beautiful small houses surrounded by palm trees and lush green flora.

The real thing did not live up to their expectations. The ice was melting and there was no green in sight. They walked into a pub, full of men chugging drinks with friends. Sokka grabbed Kasumi's hand. "Stay by my side, they're watching you." he whispered.

She nodded, very uncomfortable. They walked past a table and a man with a few strands of hair and barely any teeth gave her a grin. She shuddered and pressed herself into Sokka's arms.

He ordered everyone a mango smoothie, while the rest waited. A man walked passed Aang and spilled his drink on his clothes. Aang airbended the beverage off, and the man gasped. "An air nomad.. Right in front of me!" The man introduced himself as Professor Zei, Head of Anthropology at Ba Sing Se university.

"So, professor!" Sokka said, slurping his drink. "You're obviously a well travelled guy. Do you have a more current map? Ours seems to be a little dated."

"Certainly." Professor Zei rolled out his map on the table for Sokka to see. He examined it and sighed.

"No Fire Nation? Doesn't anybody have a good map of that place?" he questioned, frustrated. Katara pointed at the many lines Professor Zei drew.

"You've made a lot of trips into the desert." she stated.

"All in vain. I've found lost civilisations all over the Earth Kindgom, but I haven't managed to find the crown jewel. Wan-Chi Tong's library." Zei explained. "The library is more valuable than gold. It is said to contain a vast collection of knowledge. And knowledge is priceless."

"Sounds like good times." Toph snickered.

"Oh, it is!" Zei continued. "According to legend, it was built by the great knowledge spirit, Wan-Chi Tong with the help of his foxy knowledge seekers."

"So he had hot assistants?" Kasumi asked, grinning.

"I think he means they look like actual foxes." Sokka replied, shaking his head.

"You're both right." Professor Zei answered. He smiled fondly. "Handsome little creatures. Wan-Chi Tong and his knowledge seekers collected books from all over the world and put them on display for mankind to read."

"If this place has books from all over the world, do you think they've got info on the Fire Nation?" Sokka questioned. "A map, maybe?"

"I wouldn't know." Zei replied. "But if such a thing exists, it's in Wan-Chi Tong's library."

Sokka threw his head in the air. "Aang, I do believe it's my turn. I'd like to spend my vacation at the library!"

"Uh hey!" Toph said. "What about me, or Kasumi? When do we pick?"

"You gotta work here a little longer, before your qualified for vacation time. And Kasumi, she's after me!"

"There's a matter of finding it." Zei stated. "I've made several trips into the desert and almost died each time. I'm afraid that desert's impossible to cross."

"Not for us! We have a sky bison!" Kasumi said, cheerfully.

"A sky bison?!" Zei gasped. "You actually have one?!"

They showed him to Appa, who was being observed by some people wrapped in many layers of beige linen. They had glasses with black lenses and masks on. Appa growled at them and Zei shooed them away.