CHAPTER 27 | the serpent's pass

KASUMI WAS SPLASHING in the water with Toph. They had stopped by a river. Katara went to the top of the hill right next to it and jumped down into the water, bending a huge splash. "Sure five thousand year old maps from the Spirit library, just splash some water on them!" Sokka said.

"Sorry." said Katara, bending the water out of the scrolls.

"Did you figure out what route we're gonna take?" Aang asked.

"Okay we just got out of the desert, so we must be around here." Sokka said, pointing at the map. "And we need to go to Ba Sing Se, which is here. It looks like the only passage connecting the south to the north is this sliver of land called the Serpent's Pass."

"You're sure that's the best way to go?" Toph asked.

"It's the only way." Sokka answered. "I mean, it's not like we have Appa to fly us there."

A heavily pregnant woman, a man and a young teenage girl approached them

A heavily pregnant woman, a man and a young teenage girl approached them. They were headed to Ba Sing Se too. "We can travel through the Serpent's Pass together!" Katara said.

"The Serpent's Pass? Only the truly desperate take that deadly route." The wife, Ying said.

"You should come with us to Full Moon Bay." The husband offered. "Ferries take refugees across the lake. It's the fastest way to Ba Sing Se."

Everyone chose to go that way. They queued up for a ticket. "Um for tickets for the ferry, please." Aang asked.

"Passports?"

"Uh, no one told us we have to have passports."

"Don't you know who this is?" Sokka asked. "He's the Avatar."

"Ah, I see fifty Avatar's a day. And by the way, not a very impressive costume."

Toph stepped forward and presented the lady with her passport. "My name is Toph Beifong and I'll need five tickets."

"Ah, the golden seal of the flying boar! It is my pleasure to help anyone of the Beifong Family."

"It is your pleasure. As you can see, I am blind and these four imbeciles are my valets. The animal is my seeing eye lemur."

"Well, normally it's only one ticket per passport, but this document is so official, I guards it's worth five tickets!"

They walked to the ferry, until Kasumi was grabbed by someone. She turned around and her eyes lit up. "Suki!" she exclaimed, and hugged her.

"Kasumi it's so good to see you!" Suki said. They walked to the ferry together, holding hands and talking. She explained Suki everything, even about Akio and Sokka and the origin behind her two white hairs.

"What happened to your makeup and outfit?" Kasumi asked.

"That crabby lady makes all the security guards wear them. And look at you Kasumi, practically glowing. Give me some skincare tips." Kasumi smiled.