CHAPTER 31 | goodbye, love

THEY ARRIVED AT Lake Laogai, but there were no headquarters. "So where is this place?" Sokka asked.

"Under the water, I think."

"There's a tunnel right there, near the shore." Toph pointed out. She walked over and used her earthbending to raise it up. The tunnel lead to a network of large, dark tunnels with rooms. Kasumi was scared. It was too dark for her. Akio put his hand on her shoulder for comfort. She made a purple flame in her palm for extra light.

"It's all starting to come back to me." Jet said. "I think they're might be a cell big enough to hold Appa up ahead." He opened the stone door and lead them into an seemingly empty room. As they walked in, the door was closed behind them and the room was lit up.

Members of the Dai Li were hanging from the ceiling, waiting to pounce on them. Long Feng looked enraged. "You have made yourselves enemies of the state." he said. "Take them into custody!"

The Dai Li jumped down and sent rocks flying at them, which were quickly turned to dust by Toph. Akio grabbed a long knife from Kasumi and helped Jet attack a few agents. Long Feng ran away from the room. Aang, Akio, Kasumi and Jet all ran after him into another empty room.

"All right, Avatar. You've caused me enough problems. This is your last chance." Long Feng said. "If you want your bison back."

"You do have Appa! TELL ME WHERE HE IS!" Aang roared.

"Agree to exit the city now, and I'll waive all charges against you and allow you to leave with your lost pet." he said.

"You're in no position to bargain." said Jet.

"Jet, Akio, the Earth King has invited you both to Lake Laogai."

Jet and Akio's pupils dilated, and they deadpanned. "I am honoured to accept his invitation." they both said in syncs. Jet started to swing at Aang, whilst Akio tried to slice up Kasumi.

"You're a Freedom Fighter, Jet. He can't make you do this!" Aang exclaimed.

His eyes turned back to normal. Kasumi tried the same on Akio.

"Akio, please. Remember Kyoshi Island? Remember the lake?" she begged.

Akio froze and then threw the knife at Long Feng. He dodged both Jet and Akio's attack. Akio ran up to him and plunged a knife into his back. Long Feng hit Jet with his earthbending and took the knife out of his back. He sunk the knife into Akio's chest. Aang ran to Jet, and Kasumi ran to Akio.

Long Feng used this moment to make his escape. "Akio!" Kasumi exclaimed.

The rest appeared and saw the scene. Sokka ran up to Kasumi and saw Akio. Kasumi held Akio in his arms, holding him close. His head was in her lap.

"Look, Katara can heal you, just hold on." she said, desperately looking around. He looked up at her and smiled. "It's fine." he whispered.

"No! No it's not okay." She started crying, softly. He lifted his hand and caressed her face.

"It's fine." he whispered again, coughing up blood.

"Please, please don't go." she murmured, tears streaming down her face. "We still need to travel together.. We still need to complete your dreams."

"It's okay, Kasumi. I'm going to regret not seeing you turn old." whispered Akio. "Or seeing you accomplish your dreams. I love you, I proposed to you. I don't need to do any more."

"Akio! You're still so young. You've barely lived." Kasumi cried.

"You can live on for me. Be messy, move forward, go for him."