CHAPTER 41 | gone

THE INVASION PLAN had ultimately been a failure. The older people stayed behind and surrendered, while the youngest of the fighters escaped to the Western Air Temple on Appa. Sokka was heartbroken. Kasumi was most likely dead and his father was now imprisoned. He had lost so much in one day.

They arrived at the temple and he immediately went to his assigned room. He had taken Kasumi's belongings with him and placed them on his bed. His hands brushed the red nightgown, which still smelt like her, and hovered over the Fire Nation outfit she had worn during their few months in the Fire Nation.

In her satchel, was a small book. He opened it up to see sketches of the group. Drawings of Katara waterbending, of Aang gliding, of Toph lounging and earthbending.

There were drawings of her family, including her father and sister. He started to cry, when he saw drawings of himself. They were in full colour, and detailed, every strand of his hair brushed onto the paper, with care, with love.

She had put time and effort into his drawings, which made him break. She was gone, for good. What would he do without her? Kasumi, the love of his life. He had thought he would be the one to die during the invasion, not her. His mind was cluttered with thoughts of regret. Would it have been possible to save her?

The last page of the book had a sketch of herself, along with a letter.

Hi Sokka.

If you're reading this, I must've been imprisoned or died somehow during the invasion. I'm so sorry things ended this way. I wish I could've been with you forever, but hopefully I died an honourable death.

Keep this sketch book as something to remember me by, along with all my other belongings. They're all yours, even Yue and Akio's bracelets.

I hope we can meet again, someday, but not too soon. You have a lot to live for. I know this is selfish, but I ask for one thing.

Once the war has ended, could you find my sister Jasmine? Princess Azula knows something about her, and Prince Zuko probably does as well. You should interrogate them, find her and return her to my mother.

There should be a wooden box with my things. Inside the box are drawings of people you love, your mother, father, sister, Aang, Toph, Suki and me. They are framed and can be hung up, if you so desire.

Your father showed me a painting of your mother once, that's how I know what she looks like. May I say that you two look very similar? The people of the Water Tribe are very beautiful. What do they feed you?! It must be all that seal jerky, haha.

I love you so damn much, Sokka.

~ Kasumi.

Sokka fell to the floor, crying his eyes out. There was nothing left. Katara came up to his room to check on her brother and saw him like that. She tried to comfort him, but it was no use. Honesty, everyone was devastated because of this loss. It was like losing an older sister, or in Sokka's case, a lover.

He would spend night after night, sitting on a ledge, looking at the stars, his thoughts being the only thing comforting him. He tried to convince himself that Kasumi was in a better place now, but his heart still ached for her.

Katara had been aware of her brother's sadness, and tried to comfort him again, but nothing worked. She was still overwhelmed with sadness herself, and would often find herself crying in her room, as well. Zuko had joined their group, and would ask why everyone was so sad.

Sokka explained what happened to Kasumi and Zuko apologised. He gave him an empty laugh and headed back to his room. He sat on his bed, and took out the betrothal necklace he had made for her out of his pocket.

He had planned on proposing after the war ended, but he'd never get that chance now. His dream of marrying her and starting a family would never be complete now. It hurt him so much, and for that reason, he tried to force himself to push her to the back of his mind.

He couldn't eat properly anymore and at night time, he'd imagine her sleeping next to him. He'd always end up crying and pulling out her silky red nightgown. Her scent was still on it and Sokka would gently sniff the fabric. It smelt like smoky vanilla.

Katara would come into his room and look at Kasumi's things herself. Her fingers would trace the delicate drawings Kasumi had sketched out and feel the cold metal of the bracelets she was gifted.

Sokka once saw her in his room, looking at Kasumi's stuff and shouted at her. "Get away from her things!" he yelled. "You're going to break them!"

"I'm not five! I'll be careful!" Katara exclaimed, stroking the silk of Kasumi's nightgown.

"Just leave, okay?!" he shouted.

"Why are you acting like you're the only one who lost Kasumi?!" Katara snapped. "We all lost a friend."

"Katara, just leave." Sokka said. "You're making me mad."

Katara started to walk out, but before she left the room, she said, "I know your hurting, and I know you loved her a lot, but we're all sad, Sokka."

Sokka let a tear slip down his cheek. For now, he'd just try to think about his father. He had asked Zuko where his father would've been taken, and he was told the Boiling Rock. Zuko said nobody had ever escaped the island, but Sokka insisted on the two of them going.

They had made it onto the island on Zuko's war balloon, and had stolen two guard outfits. The next day, Sokka and Zuko were looking for Sokka's father, when Sokka saw someone, who he thought he'd never see again.

Kasumi.