CHAPTER 20 | fire nation baby

AANG STOOD STILL, looking at Omashu. "I can't believe it." he said. "I know the war had spread far, but Omashu has always seemed untouchable." Sokka walked up, and put a hand on his shoulder. "Up until now, it was. Now Ba Sing Sei's the Earth Kingdom stronghold left." he said.

"This is horrible." Katara whispered. "But we have to move on."

"No. I'm going in to find Bumi." Aang said, grabbing his glider.

"Aang, stop!" Sokka exclaimed. "We don't even know if Bumi's still.."

"What? If he's still what?!"

"..Around."

Katara tried to convince Aang. "I know you had your heart set on Bumi, but there are other people that can teach you earthbending."

"This isn't about finding a teacher. This about finding my friend."

Aang had an idea. They would go through the sewage system, find Bumi, and free him. He opened up a large tube and they seared through it. Kasumi's stayed behind Katara, so that she wouldn't get most sewage water on her, because Katara was waterbending it. Sokka was not as smart, and gagged every time a splash hit him.

 Sokka was not as smart, and gagged every time a splash hit him

Once they finally came out of the tube, Aang took a stretch. A green, glob monster thing emerged and approached them. Katara splashed some water on it. It was Sokka. Purple pentapuses were latched onto his face. He pulled at them, but they wouldn't come off. Aang rubbed its head and it let go of Sokka's face. They left red marks on him.

"Hey!" A Fire Nation soldier yelled. "What are you kids doing out past curfew?"

"Sorry!" Katara apologised. "We were just in our way home." They quickly turned around and started to shuffle away.

"Wait. What's the matter with him?" The soldier asked. They turned around again.

"He has pentapox, sir." Katara said. The soldier looked at Sokka's marks. "Um, it's highly contagious!"

Sokka started groaning. "It's so awful!" he yelled. "I'm dying!" The soldier poked Sokka away with his spear and ran away with the others to wash their hands.

"Let's find Bumi and get out of here." Katara said.

"Where would they be keeping him?" Sokka asked.

"Somewhere he can't earthbend." Aang replied, looking around. "Somewhere made of metal."

They were walking across a closed delivery chute, when a rock came tumbling down. Aang airbended it away. A girl with long black hair threw arrows at him. Two soldiers started to chase the four, but Katara got rid of them with her waterbending.

The girl advanced, hurling throwing stars at them. One got stuck in Aang's glider. She threw a bunch of arrows at them, but they fell underground. Some earthbenders had saved them.