Zoe-Zoe [39]

"So you guys are parents?" Colby asked, scratching his head confused.

Kennedy and Jon decided to break the news to their friends before telling the entire locker room, as it was eventually going to get out one way or another.

"It's complicated. We're the legal guardians of Zoey until the 19th. We have to decide what we want to do. If we're going to adopt her or give her back to Sonia." Jon explained as Kennedy and the girls played with Zoey on the play mat.

"This is fucking wild. Why did she pick you guys and not her family?" Ashley asked, and Kennedy shook her head.

"They've got no family. Sonia doesn't have anyone besides herself. The father of the children was never really there. It's a complicated mess."

"How are you guys feeling about it?" Joe asked

"I mean, it's been alright so far. Zoe is pretty calm and sleeps good throughout the night, but she did wake up once last night. I think it was because we were up late at the station, so it messed up her sleep schedule." Jon told them, as they were surprised.

"She was fussy on the plane and it was her first plane ride, so that would probably make sense. But after Jon fed her her bottle, I burped her, and she knocked right out for the entire flight." Kennedy said.

"So you guys are complete naturals, is what you meant to say?" Becky said, making everyone let out a light laugh.

"It's been good so far, but we know that this is just the beginning." She told them.

"Do you want to keep her?" Colby sought out, and the couple looked at each other and shrugged.

"I mean, I do. She's great, and she deserves a good family and life." Jon said, and Kennedy smiled.

"It's just hard to fathom the fact that if Jon and I do decide to adopt her, our lives are going to change. It's different from being pregnant and having nine months to prepare yourself for parenthood. I just don't want to wake up one day regretting that she has to live a different life than other kids because of our careers. You know the travel and everything can be grueling, and I don't want her to feel like she has no stability when she's older." Kennedy sighed, brushing the baby's hair back as she gurgled.

They all nodded sympathetically, understanding that this wasn't easy on either of them.

"You really can never prepare for parenthood. You kinda just get thrown into it and learn as you go. It's hard and there are gonna be days where you don't think that you can do it for them, but when you look into their eyes, you just remember all this love and protection you have for them and you keep doing it. Because you love your kid—I mean you guys probably don't feel like you love her right now since you just met her, but I'm telling you, if you decide to adopt her, it'll be because you love her and want the best for her." Joe lectured them and they smiled.

Joe was an experienced father himself and knew that it wasn't easy for his friends, but if he could give them words of encouragement to keep going and doing what they were doing, then it'll all be worth it.

Soon the Zoey started to fuss and Jon chuckled and stood up heading towards the diaper bag.

"Feeding time." He announced, and everyone decided to say their goodbyes so that they could have some privacy.

"I can feed her babe." Kennedy volunteered, picking up Zoey and cradling her to her chest.

"Here you are." He said, handing the bottle over as Zoe was quick to latch onto the nipple.

"You're one hungry girl, aren't you?" Jon said, tickling her feet as Zoey ate.

"Ryback as fuck." Kennedy joked, making them both laugh.