Chapter 13

The next day, Miranda was not present for breakfast. Carena said the woman left early, muttering that she would have a meeting at a bistro, and that she would eat something there. However, something told Andy that Miranda Priestly had actually sneaked away!

Before going to work, Andy contacted the clinic and scheduled a date for fertilization. Then she called Miranda.

"Hello, good morning!" She greeted in a sweet, melodiously warm voice, as the older woman answered the call.

"Umm...Andrea," Miranda said in a low tone. "I believe you called to talk about your fertilization," she cut to the chase, trying to bring the uncomfortable conversation to a quick end.

"Exactly. Tuesday, eight o'clock. We need to send in the donor code on Monday so that everything is prepared."

"We'll do it...Anything else, Andrea? I'm really busy, you know..."

"Oh, please, no staying up late working. The girls missed you at breakfast...me too...I'll miss you guys tonight..."

Even if the situation was unsettling, Miranda wouldn't deny that it was good to know that Andrea was worried about her and that she was missed. Her heart leapt, her face flushed. Miranda Priestly wasn't used to feeling that way. She didn't know what to say.

"Umm..." It was the only thing she let out of her suddenly dry throat.

Andy smirked.

"See you tomorrow, Miranda," she hung up without waiting for an answer.

The older woman raised her eyebrows and looked at the phone in her hand. Andrea hung up on her. Miranda replaced the phone on the hook and leaned back in her chair.

A cheeky smile took over her face.

Despite the disconcerting moments, Andrea's sudden boldness was interesting, very interesting. Apparently, 'her girl' has finally decided to play.

* * * *

Andy's moving in was quick. After all, the young woman didn't have much, and she didn't want to take half of her belongings to the townhouse. Except for a small trunk that belonged to her grandmother, Andy got rid of the rest of her furniture. She took the opportunity to throw a bunch of junk away and pack some clothes to donate. They put the things Andy still wanted in the bedroom, and the rest were piled up in the living room. A truck from a charity house would come by to pick up everything the next day.

It would be a fresh start.

Andy didn't want to carry any material memories of her life with Nate. After talking to Doug, she promised that she would fight to make the act with the Priestlys something real.

She was betting everything on it.

It was time for Andrea Sachs to stop running from her fate, no matter how strange it might seem.

While she took care of things, Andy and her friends lived up to the alcoholic party Miranda cleverly mentioned. They were amused when Andy told them that the older woman guessed they would use the event for a 'bachelorette party'. Doug and Lily were in awe of Miranda's thoughtfulness, and wasted no time in making a lot of jokes about it.

=========================================

Miranda Priestly arrived at the townhouse, and once again, none of her girls came to meet her. This was becoming a constant. Rather than upset her, though, the situation was comforting. Andrea's presence calmed the twins. They no longer had to wait anxiously for their mother, in a clear sign of need.