Chapter 15

When they met in the living room, Andy didn't hide a sweet smile when she saw Miranda in her usual gray bathrobe. The older woman, in turn, gave an appreciative nod to Andrea's new cerulean blue bathrobe, another of her presents.

"Come," Miranda took the young woman's hand, sitting beside her on the love seat.

They looked at each other for a few seconds, uncertain. Andy took a deep breath. She had rehearsed what she wanted to say to Miranda. It was time to be bold.

"Can I start?"

"Of course," Miranda's voice sounded relieved. After all, sentimental conversation had never been one of her specialties.

"I'll get straight to the point: I know things started out unusually. But for me, this is serious, Miranda. Although...although I desire you madly, this is not just a physical attraction..."

Andrea's nervous, but firm and bold speech seemed to urge Miranda to put her discomfort aside. She took the young woman's hands in hers, and looked at her closely.

"For me it's also very serious. I know that to get here, I...well...I..."

"You teased me. A lot," Andy completed for her, with a sardonic smile.

Miranda blushed slightly. "Umm...Yes. But it was the only way I found...to get closer..."

Andy nodded in understanding. Just like Doug said. If she didn't reciprocate Miranda's feelings, the flirting would be taken as a naughty joke about the fictional situation, and they'd go ahead with the deal. If Andy had feelings for Miranda, sooner or later she would understand the older woman's true intentions.

"Even though I have these...feelings...I didn't want to risk being short-sighted and scaring you, Andrea. I say this not just because of my girls. If you didn't want anything like that with me, we would at least have your friendship. I hope you know, I really, really cherish you greatly. Besides, we're going to have a child together..."

Andy smiled affectionately. Miranda being so open, especially about something so delicate, made her heart extremely happy. She felt safe.

"But I want to have something more with you, Miranda. I've been wanting this for a long time...I just didn't imagine it would ever happen. You're a fulfilled, famous woman, my former boss...It was my impossible dream. That's why it took me so long to see your real intentions. If not for Doug, maybe I would still be in denial..."

Miranda smiled. "I assumed your friend had something to do with it..."

"I-I told him...Doug knows all about our real situation."

Miranda pursed her lips. "I assumed that too..."

"Doug is highly reliable."

The older woman nodded.

"You need someone you can talk to. It's part of your sensitive nature."

Andy chuckled at her superior tone.

"And it looks like I owe your friend a debt of gratitude," Miranda added, with a raised eyebrow.

Andy smiled. If Doug knew this, he would die of emotion!

"I wasn't the quickest creature to notice my feelings, Andrea. Also, I was terribly afraid to act on them. If it weren't for the girls, maybe what we have would still be something far from happening..."

Andy narrowed her eyes. "I knew the twins were behind this!"

Miranda let out a witty laugh.

"Obviously! My adorable little monsters realized that my indignation at your departure had a deeper reason. My daughters know me well, Andrea. They know I wouldn't have resented that much, if the person didn't mean something to me. So, they wanted to see your side..."