Chapter 36

To buy them a little time, the car circled the neighborhood, while Roy tried to get rid of some of the paparazzi. When the security team finally arrived, Stuart and his people quickly created a cordon, and the Mercedes was able to enter the property, without any problems.

"Andrea, how about you and the girls shower before dinner?" Miranda suggested as soon as they walked through the front door. "I will call Dominique to see you later."

Andy thought about protesting, but Miranda's determined gaze, and her own realization that it had been a day full of unpleasant surprises, made her just languidly nod in agreement at her premature appointment with the doctor. She felt herself shaking again.

Miranda studied her daughters, and they shared the same apprehensive look as Andrea. She gave the three of them a reassuring smile, and kissed each girl's forehead and placed a loving kiss on her partner's lips.

"Trust me. I will take care of it."

The three nodded with an air of understanding on their faces. They knew it was a promise Miranda would keep, no matter what it cost her.

Concerned, the editor watched them go up the stairs with slow, heavy steps, a significant silence established in the house.

As soon as they were out of sight, her expression changed. The fury Miranda had fought to keep inside could finally show on her face. She flipped open her cell phone—which she already had in her hand in an anxious grip—and set off on the hunt.

"Cut the theatrical politeness, I need your services," Miranda barked when the call was answered, as she walked briskly to the library office, on the first floor. "We had an unseemly situation with serious consequences," she emphasized in a dangerous tone, through gritted teeth. Miranda Priestly hated to be taken by surprise! "Someone is been saying the wrong thing," the editor continued in a harsh voice, after closing the door behind her. "I want you to find out who that individual is," she pointed out vehemently. "I have my suspicions..." Miranda told the other person in disgust, sitting in the chair in front of the desk.

* * * *

Upon entering the master bedroom, Miranda noticed that Andrea was still in the bathroom. She went there, along the way, getting rid of her own clothes. She pushed the rest of the door ajar. The younger woman was under the shower, static. Miranda pursed her lips at the scene, and called out softly to Andrea, so as not to startle her.

"Can I come in, dear?"

Andy immediately turned around, and a small smile crept across her face. She nodded in agreement.

Miranda gave her a tight smile and opened the shower stall door. She did not say anything else, just held out her arms to her.

Andy wasted no time. Soon she was embraced by the older woman, her tears running along with the hot water.

Miranda held her protectively, giving her time to vent, as she kissed Andrea's hair and stroked her back, and promised herself, once again, that she would destroy whoever had hurt her family.

Minutes later, Andy took a long breath and loosened the contact, looking at her partner. Her expression was sad, lost.

"Our girls are scared, Miranda...So am I..."

The older woman sighed and let her own dismay show on her face.

"I know, my darling...But you three will be fine...I will take care of everything..."

Though still hurt, Andrea's eyes were now also glowing with something Miranda was not used to seeing in them: Anger.

"Promise me...promise me that you'll find whoever did this...and make that person bitterly regret it..." Andy's tone came out heavy and extremely severe.