Chapter 22

Why did that idiot have to get sick just today? I was supposed to be on my way home by now, but NO! I'm doing the job of an incompetent without any sense of timing! As if I didn't work hard enough already, hell! Emily Charlton mentally grunted as she crept into Miranda Priestly's townhouse, carrying The Book and hangers with clothes.

Oh, Tara, I'm going to put you down, get ready... She swore. The shit is, when you get fired, I'm going to have to scramble to find a new you...and that's always a stressful crusade... "Damn it..." Emily mumbled under her breath with a grimace, after setting The Book on the little table near the stairs, and opening the coat closet to hang up Miranda's clothes.

"Talking to yourself, Em?" asked an amused voice behind her.

Emily jumped in fright, hitting her head on the low frame of the coat closet door, and threw the clothes into the air, which flew and splattered on the floor.

"Holy shit, Andrea! Are you trying to kill me?" The redhead complained angrily, rubbing the top of her head.

"Oh, Em, I'm sorry!" Andy was really upset. "Let's see if you're hurt," she asked worriedly, lowering Emily's head so she could take a look.

"Okay, okay...I'm fine!" The British woman was firm, pulling Andrea's hands away. "Let me fix this. If Miranda comes, I'm fried! Of course she won't want to know whose fault it is, will she?" Emily was mordacious.

Andy pursed her lips.

"I'm sorry," she repeated. "But don't worry, Miranda hasn't come back from the party yet, and she shouldn't be home for another hour."

"Oh...lucky me," was the sarcastic comment.

On one of the few occasions that Emily did not have to accompany Miranda to a party, instead of enjoying the moment of freedom, she had to do the job of that irresponsible bitch Tara!

"Let me help you," Andy offered, and soon the clothes were in place.

"What are you doing down here at this time of night? Aren't you supposed to be sleeping or upside down gorging on chocolate, while 'people like me' still work hard?" Emily used her usual spiteful tone.

Andy shrugged.

"I'm not sleepy. I was watching a movie, but I got thirsty, and I came for a drink of water. So I heard your voice, and decided to say hello. By the way, why did you come? Isn't that Tara's job now? I mean, she's still there, isn't she? Or has she already been fired?"

"To my dismay, Tara is still there," Emily's sounded really painful. "But for a very short time, I'm sure. I have never seen such incompetence in one person! Plus, the clueless had the audacity to get sick today."

Andy laughed at Emily's answer, shaking her head at her vicious attitude. Seeing her rubbing her head where she'd hit the coat closet, the young woman offered:

"Em, I'll get an ice pack for you to put in there. It will help prevent possible swelling and should reduce pain."

Emily rolled her eyes.

"Don't move. I'll be right back!" Andy stopped her from protesting, and went quickly to the kitchen.

"Always the kind one..." Emily snorted, but then turned thoughtful.

Andrea's ability to truly care about people, even mere strangers, had always destabilized Emily. As they worked together, she had rarely seen her lose her bearings with someone, even when that someone had done a lot to deserve it, including herself. And even then Andrea was not too harsh. She just made her point without deliberately offending or hurting anyone.