Chapter 20

"Are you still writing?" From the half-open door, Miranda asked delicately not to frighten the younger woman. "You can't exaggerate, Andrea. Working from home is meant to be a relief, not an overload," she said as she walked in and closed the bedroom door behind her, her tone worried, but firm.

To Miranda's relief, Andrea had talked to her boss. Until the press situation subsided, she would be working from home. In fact, the young woman was concerned about protecting herself from annoyances with the media, but, above all, being able to be closer to the twins, who would soon enter the most invasive phase of their treatment.

"Hey!" Andy greeted happily, her welcoming smile lighting her face. "I'm not exaggerating, Miranda. I've already finished an article that was pending and sent it to Stevie. I was just replying to an email from Lily," she stated with a sideways smile, placing her notebook on the bed, and standing up.

The couple met halfway. They hugged each other tight and long. Then Andy looked at the older woman, her affection openly displayed in her brown eyes.

How Miranda loved those eyes...

"Hey..." Andy repeated with a sweet smile.

"Hi, Darling," Miranda answered in a tired tone, but she was smiling warmly, her hand on Andrea's cheek.

The young woman closed her eyes at the touch, and Miranda took advantage of the moment to admire her, before taking Andrea's lips with hers.

Andy moaned in satisfaction and wrapped her arms around Miranda's neck, bringing the older woman closer to her. Their mouths joined in a longing, leisurely kiss. When they broke contact, they hugged each other tightly, a second time.

Andy inhaled deeply the scent of the beautiful, exhausted woman in her arms, and then placed small kisses on her neck.

Miranda sighed heavily. It felt good to be home.

She was tired, really tired.

It was the price to pay, and she would do it without complaint. Sacrifices. She was an expert at them.

Yet, there in Andrea's loving arms, Miranda Priestly could afford to finally feel miserably human.

Andy cared greatly about the burden Miranda had imposed on herself, but she knew that, at the moment, it was a necessary evil. The older woman was trying to buy time, so she could have some of it later with Andy, as the pregnancy progressed, and with the girls, during the most difficult part of their treatment. In addition, there was also the exposure to the press and pressure from Runway's board, which lurked every day, waiting for a slip. Miranda, more than ever, needed to methodically calculate her steps.

For her part, Andy was trying to make things flow more easily. She would not be a fool to act like one of Miranda's exes, bombarding her with demands for things they knew were part of her personality and troubled life. Unlike them, Andy did not want to change her. However, if something bothered her, the young woman would subtly insert it into the middle of a conversation, let Miranda get the message and stay alert. When possible, the woman would deal with it.

Something that, luckily for Andy, Miranda's exes did not understand was that she needed her space. The woman hated lectures. She needed to calmly digest her mistakes, work out actions and adapt. With the recurrent pressure from her exes, Miranda pulled farther and farther away, the problems getting bigger, an imminent end.

Andy learned, too, that Miranda loved being taken care of, but that she hated to let it show, even more, in front of others. After all, Miranda Priestly had a reputation to uphold, and her own heart to protect. At home, Andy's care was more obvious, but she always made sure her actions and speech were concerned and loving, but not intrusive.

An Unexpected Requestजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें