Chapter 40

As Roy moved flanked by the convoy of bodyguards keeping the paparazzi at bay, Miranda took the opportunity to contact Carena and tell her what was happening, but asked her not to alert the girls yet. Next, the editor called Dominique. However, the doctor was already on her way to the hospital. At Andrea's request, Douglas had been instructed to call her as well.

With urgent matters in progress, the editor could finally take care of her appearance. She had been so shaken, that it did not even cross her mind as she left the townhouse. Luckily, she had stayed in the outfit she had worn at Runway, earlier. Plus, the way to the car was safe from prying eyes, and Miranda was not in danger of getting pictures of her in that state. It would be a delicious tidbit for the tabloids, The Queen of Fashion, in such a sloppy situation. It would only add weight to the spectacular event that would be her arrival at the hospital following Andrea's emergency admission.

Precisely because she was Miranda Priestly, the woman was always one step ahead. No matter the occasion, her handbag was equipped with a small kit with what could quickly secure her iconic facade.

First, the editor took the mouth freshener spray, which while it would not eliminate her whiskey breath, would effectively mask the alcohol. Next, she touched up her makeup and fixed her hair as best she could. Lastly, the woman spritzed herself with perfume and smoothed out the creases in her clothes. Due to her constantly impeccable posture, the set of black trousers and blazer jacket, and white button-down shirt, were presentable.

With her camouflage in place, Miranda Priestly finally felt a little more in control.

* * * *

As she imagined, as soon as she left the car, the woman was surrounded by reporters, who speculated about her partner and the girls. Stuart's men escorted Miranda to the Presbyterian's entrance, where Douglas was anxiously waiting for her.

"Where is Andrea?" The older woman took off her sunglasses and walked past the young man, the heels of her Jimmy Choos echoing loudly as they thudded firmly against the floor, as Miranda moved quickly, people in her path, instinctively moving away from her.

"Andy was admitted to the ER, and now she's with her doctor, being examined..." Doug said breathlessly, trying to keep up with the woman. It was amazing how fast she was! He really needed to get back to exercising.

After the reception procedures, facilitated by Miranda, as well as Douglas, being on Andrea's emergency contact list, the two headed to the waiting room. Though she was trembling from tension, Miranda sat elegantly in one of the uncomfortable chairs. Nervously, Doug paced back and forth, running his hands through his messy hair.

In one swift movement, the editor grabbed the young man's sleeve, bringing him to a halt, and pulled him down, until Douglas' ear was close to her mouth.

"You are annoying me," she declared under her breath. "Now, stop attracting more attention. Sit down, and tell me exactly what happened," Miranda demanded, letting him go, then.

Doug swallowed hard at the icy tone and nodded effusively. Wisely, he skipped the place beside the woman, and took a seat in the next chair. The young man turned his body a little towards Miranda, his head down, a trick to keep his words secret.

"Andy knew I was off today, so she came over to my apartment after your...your disagreement," he recounted as nonchalantly as he could. "Andy was a nervous mess, she wasn't making any sense, she just cried. Tired, she ended up falling asleep on my couch—Miranda sighed sadly—later, when she woke up, Andy tried to talk, but once again, she became very agitated, and well, then..." Doug paused, livid.