Chapter 42

"Gustaf," it was said in a low, demanding voice.

Seconds later, the young man in question appeared out of breath at the office door. The woman was having one of those days! At least she had finally stopped calling him boy.

"Yes, Miranda?"

The editor looked at him over her glasses, with narrowed eyes and pursed lips.

"Why are there only five fabric swatches on my desk?"

"Maybe because you said it would be enough?" Gustaf responded promptly, trying not to roll his eyes.

Miranda frowned, her gaze burning at the audacity.

"That was yesterday. Bring the other three. You have ten minutes."

To the editor's astonishment, Gustaf flashed a smug smile.

"Just a moment, they're in my drawer," he said shrewdly, turned on his heel, and quickly went to get the swatches.

As soon as Gustaf was out of sight, Miranda let out a huff and allowed a small smile to spread across her face.

In the months following the arrival of the new assistants, testing them was deliciously refreshing, and with countless benefits. Despite the daunting tasks, they both remained examples of efficiency.

Gustaf returned with the fabric swatches and silently placed them on Miranda's desk. Back to her bored look, the woman only raised her eyebrows, before shooing him away with one hand. The assistant gave a polite nod, and within seconds, she was alone again.

The editor smiled, shaking her head, once again in awe. Andrea and her troupe surely did a good job. Things at Runway were quite complicated. She did not even want to imagine what it would be like without Alicia and Gustaf managing the chaos.

Miranda had her mind-wandering interrupted by the ringing of her cell phone.

"I was waiting for your call," she commented with a playful smile, as she answered. "Yes, yes. You know I want the best, even more, under these circumstances...Do not let me down. Okay. That's all."

Miranda Priestly's little smile was arrogantly victorious.

* * * *

As promised to her family, Miranda left Runway early, and arrived at the townhouse a little before 7pm. After receiving a warm welcome from her daughters and exchanging a few friendly words with Eliza and Sophie, invited to dinner, the editor went upstairs to look for Andrea. They said she was in the bath.

Upon reaching the master bedroom, Miranda found her young partner looking at herself in the full-length mirror in the walk-in closet. Andrea was wearing nothing but a set of delicate, comfortable underwear in a shade of dark green.

"Hi, darling," Miranda greeted her softly as she hugged her from behind. On tiptoe, the older woman sniffed her neck still fresh from the bath, giving it a loving kiss. "You are getting more and more beautiful every day."

Andy snorted in disbelief.

"I'm getting bigger every day, you mean...I'm going to look ridiculous in the awards dress," she pouted, her eyes watering.

Miranda smiled in sympathy with her partner's insecurities, so normal at this point in her pregnancy.

"My beloved," the editor appealed to the sweet, melodious voice that Andrea loved. "Your body is just adapting to house our child, who grows beautifully in you," she calmly continued her now familiar speech. "You have barely gained any weight. Plus, your skin and hair show that radiant glow that only pregnant women have," Miranda stated, and then placed another kiss on the neck near her lips. "As for the dress, do not worry, I will arrange everything. It will be magnificent."