Chapter 29

Miranda felt something suddenly interrupt her sleep. With her eyes still closed, she automatically ran her hand over the other side of the bed, confirming that the place was empty. Then, the woman heard a disturbing noise.

She sighed heavily.

"Here we go again..." Miranda muttered under her breath, as she slowly opened her eyes. Once they got used to the light (was it morning?), she sat up in bed, ran her hands through her messy hair trying to give it a decent look, and mechanically got up.

Miranda reached the open door of the suite carefully, and the sight that greeted her, unfortunately, was the one she had imagined.

Andrea was sitting on the floor in front of the toilet, vomiting terribly.

It was the third time that week.

Miranda sighed once more.

She went to the bathroom cabinet, grabbed a washcloth and soaked it in the sink. After that, she bent down, gently brushed Andrea's hair away, and placed the cloth on the back of her head.

"That'll help, sweetheart," Miranda's voice came out low, affectionate. With her other hand, she brushed wet hair away from her partner's forehead. Andrea's sweat was cold.

"This is awful, Miranda..." Andy confessed in a pained, panting tone, after the urge to vomit had subsided a little. This time, the symptoms were more intense.

Miranda got up quickly and flushed the toilet. Right after, she returned to her position beside the younger woman. Her left hand was again holding the washcloth at the back of Andrea's head, while the other tenderly stroked her brown hair.

Miranda knew this situation all too well. She hoped Andrea did not suffer from severe nausea and vomiting on a daily basis, as she had with the twins' pregnancy. It was months of torture, alone. Jeremy was never really present.

"Do you think you can get back to bed, my dear?" She investigated gently, seeing that Andrea's face was less pale and her breathing normalized.

"Hu-hum...I think so. Just give me the mouthwash first, please," Andy asked weakly.

Even without seeing her face, Miranda knew that Andrea grimaced in disgust at her condition. She smiled in sympathy.

"Of course, darling. Hold the towel."

Miranda went to the cabinet a second time. She took the bottle of Andrea's mouthwash—alcohol-free and flavorless, completely safe for the duration of pregnancy—and got the necessary amount. Then, Miranda came back to Andrea, and gave her the cap with the liquid.

After rinsing and gargling for a while, Andy spat the antiseptic into the toilet, and Miranda flushed it again.

"Come on, I'll help you," the older woman offered her hand, with a reassuring smile.

Miranda got up and guided a shaky Andrea back to the bedroom. Before gently putting her to bed, she glanced at the alarm clock on the nightstand, and saw that it was still very early, like other days. Andrea would probably have her morning sickness at about the same time. This would allow Miranda stay with her in such situations, without having to further change her schedule. It was a relief.

"Keep still. I'll bring you something to help with your nausea," she said affectionately, after leaning Andrea comfortably against the headboard, with two pillows propping up her back.

"Tea and crackers?" Andy used a coquettish voice. She loved being pampered by her.

Miranda gave a little snort.