1

Y/n POV

Walking to school, the most peaceful time of the day. Before school where there is always some drama, yesterday a new girl came, Anne, she had the most gorgeous red hair, and her personality is just as fiery. Diana was very close with her, leaving me with Josie, Jane, Tillie and Ruby. Josie, Jane and I have been friends forever, Diana too. Tillie and Ruby weren't raised to the same standard as us, my parents think they aren't worth our time, but I think they are the nicest girls at school. Though Ruby can be a bit much, especially when it comes to her "dibs" on Gilbert Blythe, he doesn't even like her, that's obvious. But I see where she's coming from, he is very cute, but I have never been aloud to spend time with him, our families are so different.

I'm at school now and I see the girls.
"Y/n, where have you been?" Josie asks running up to me.

"I was walking?" I say confused at why she is so excited to see me.

"We were walking too, and we saw... GILBERT!" Ruby says blushing.

"Oh," I say, amused at how she's acting like she might faint. Gilbert has been away for a couple of months, he was going on a trip with his dad.

Ruby then grabs all our hands and starts spinning around, rambling on about how he is her Prince Charming. Anne must be rubbing off on her already.
"Ok ok," Jane says stopping us all, "we should go into school now." We all nod and place out milk in the stream by the school house.

We walk in, hang up our hats and jackets, and gather in a circle, the circle of gossip is what I call it. I'm not paying attention when suddenly I hear a gasp, it's Ruby. We all turn around and who do we see? Gilbert Blythe walking in with Anne... oh no. I feel someones eyes on me, it's Gilbert. I don't know why, but as he walks over to his friends we continue looking at each other, and he smiles? I think. I look back at the entrance of the school and see Josie holding a crying Ruby and yelling at Anne. Damn.

"Y/n! Why are you standing over there, your friend needs you!" Josie screams at me.

"Um, no she doesn't, what she needs is to get over her stupid crush because he obviously doesn't like her back and will never ever like her back." I said that? Ohhhhh no. Josie is going to kill me. Ruby is going to kill me.

I walk out. And don't look back. I need some air. But just as I am calming down, who do I walk into? None other than Billy Andrews, Jane's brother.

"Hey, sweetie. Why aren't you at school?" He says trying to grab my hand as I walk past him.

"None of your business, Billy!" I yell turning around to face him, taking my hand back.

"Sweetheart, jeez. What's got you all riled up?" He asks smirking.

"DON'T CALL ME THAT! I am not your sweetheart!" Why won't he leave me alone?

"Yeah, ok," he laughs, "but you will be one day, sweetheart."

People might be confused by this, but since I was born, our parents have known that Billy and I will marry, not for love of course, but because we are both from high ranking families and this will secure our social status. I don't like him, he's a horrible person, but do I have a choice? No.