8

Gilbert's POV

That didn't go as well as I hoped. But it never was going to. I'm so lucky that she was the one who answered the door, not anyone else. She said Adam was back, that's probably why she hasn't been at school. She seemed quite uncomfortable though.

Diana told me to go check on her because none of the other girls wanted to, and Diana and Ruby are going to check on Anne, she still hasn't come back to school either. It's been a very eventful week so far, I have told father every detail, apart from the fact that I like y/n, but I suspect he knows. Every time I mention her he will ask when he gets to meet her, I don't want to tell him what her family thinks of us.

I made dinner tonight, it wasn't the best but we could eat it. I then went to bed at 8 only to be woken up at 11 to screams and bells. I looked out my window and saw a fire. I immediately got dress and told dad where I was going, I went on horseback with all the buckets I could find.

When I got to the fire I realised it was the Gillis household, Ruby's home. We made sure everyone was out and started trying to put the fire out, I was at the top of the ladder. I saw Anne come, I even saw the y/l/n's, y/n was very panicked, Adam and their father started helping with a man I haven't met before, I assume it is the fiancée's father.

I saw a young woman and two middle aged women standing with y/n, and then I saw her, a little girl. She was crying and screaming and y/n and the young woman were trying to calm her down and it was working until y/n looked up, her attitude completely changed and she ran towards Anne, who was running towards the fire. WHAT?!

Y/n's POV

I was trying to calm Lilly down with Elizabeth, we brought her along because we didn't want to leave her in the house alone and everyone could carry a bucket. She was calming down a little when I looked up and saw that the doors and windows were open. I ran over to Anne and we both said the exact same thing "FIRE NEEDS OXYGEN! WE NEED TO CLOSE THE DOORS!" and we ran inside with a damp blanket.

I closed the door and she wet the floors in front. But when we got up to one room I heard my name. It was Gilbert but I just closed the door and kept going with Anne.

When she started coughing really bad I told her to go back outside and I would finish. She ran out and I heard a boy yell "THE FIRE IS SLOWING!" and another yell "IT WAS ANNE, SHE SLOWED THE FIRE!" but I also heard people screaming my name.

But I was too exhausted to run out, I collapsed on the floor of the burning house, everything went black.

When I woke up it was daylight and I was surrounded by people. My parents, Anne, Diana, Elizabeth, Adam, Lilly and Gilbert.

"What's wrong?" I ask very confused.

Gilbert's POV

I saw y/n close the door, then I saw Anne run out of the house, but I didn't see y/n.

I heard people screaming her name, the little girl tried to run in to get her, saying something like "the princess is stuck, we need to get her!" In a voice you could tell was crying.

When the fire slowed down enough I jumped down the ladder and ran in to find her. Everyone was confused. I was confused.

Why didn't Adam go get her, or Billy since he is he beau, supposedly. But I went in, and I found her, and I carried her out.

And what did I get, yelled at by her parents for letting her go in in the first place and not letting Billy save her. Maybe they are just in shock that they almost lost their daughter, but it's not my fault Billy is a coward.

She's waking up now, she saying something. "What's wrong?"

WHAT'S WRONG?! "I'm just kidding, I know what happened." She laughs but just ends up coughing.

"My dear, y/n, that was terrifying, I only met you today but it feels like you are my best friend. Please don't ever do that again!" The lady from earlier says hugging y/n.

"Thank you, Elizabeth. Ahh Lilly! There you are my little Princess." The little girl who I assume was Lilly starts crying again, "oh no princess please don't cry, I'm ok, see?" Y/n says hugging the little girl. That's when she sees me. "Gilbert, good to see you." She smiles a little.

"Nice to know your alive, but I better get home now." I say and go to give her a hug but everyone is looking so I just walk away.