18

Gilbert's POV

"You do?" Oh no. Anne better not tell everyone.

"Yes. I do. Please don't tell!" She nods, smiles, and walks away. "DON'T TELL!" I yell after her as she goes inside.

I need to find y/n, but first I have to get something from inside.

When I walk into the house everyone looks at me. I nod to address them and walk right past, to my fathers room, to the box he kept of all my mums things. Her jewellery box. Her green gemstone ring. I'll give it to y/n, as a gift, so she can remember me.

"Y/n!" I finally catch up to her in the forest sitting next to the biggest tree, staring into space. "Y/n, I want to give you something. And tell you something."

"Mhmm," she mumbles looking up at me, "what? What is it?" When she sees my face she goes from peaceful to terrified in seconds.

"I'm going on a trip. Charlottetown, maybe further. I don't know how long I'll be gone, but I will come back, for you."

"When will you leave?" She's not looking at me.

"Y/n..."

"Answer me. When will you leave?"

"Monday. In two days. I just need to get out of here. Away from Avonlea."

"Away from me..." I see a tear run down her cheek and I drop to my knees to wipe it away.

"No. I will never leave you. Never ever. That's why I'm giving you this." I take her hand and place the ring in her palm, "This was my mother's. She would want you to have it. This is my promise to you, that I will never in my lifetime, leave you. I love you, with all my heart, all my soul, all my being! That's what I meant when Lilly asked me, that's what I meant when I kissed you. I love you y/n y/l/n." I see her smile a kiss her head, her cheek, her nose and finally her lips. We pull apart and she hugs me.

"I... yes... same... I love you too." She cries. "I don't want you to go. But I understand. Write to me, from wherever you are." We stand, "And, come home one day."

She gives me a kiss and walks away. Was that her goodbye? Won't I see her tomorrow?

It's getting dark. I better head home. Everyone should be gone by now.

Y/n's POV

"He's leaving?" Mother asks as I contain my tears.

"The poor boy lost his father in that house. It's understandable." Father says.

"Good night." I say and head off to bed.

"Aren't you going to eat, dear?" Mother remarks.

"No thank you, and please don't wake me tomorrow." I say and walk up stairs for bed.

As soon as I close my bedroom door I break down in tears. I get ready for sleep and hop into bed. As I am about to blow out my candle, I look at the ring on my finger. It is small, and subtle, but beautiful still. I will wear it every day, every night.

Sunday morning, I don't go to church. I can't get out of bed. I just sit there, read a lot and look at the ring.

I'm adding another chapter to this one

Gilbert's POV

Mr Cuthbert approached me in the general store asking if I wanted help to get the farm back up and running. I never wanted to be a farmer.

I'm walking back to my house with a sack of my groceries when Billy and his minions come up behind me.

"Hey, Gilbert. How's it going Blythe?" He says in his annoying voice.

"Fine."

"You've gotta come back to school, bud. That ugly orphan's out of control."

"What do you care?"

"We need a guy to show her she's not so smart."

"She's smart. Deal with it." I sigh.

"Why you gotta be like that, bud?" He laughs.

"Why don't you bust out a book and take care of it yourself?" I say.

"Yeah right. Good one, bud."

"I'll give you a tip ok?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm not your bud."

"Yeah, right."

"And if you ever hassle Anne again," or y/n for that matter, "you'll regret it."

"Yeah, right."

"Yeah. Right."

"What's your problem?"

"Ask me that again." He backs up a bit. "No seriously. Go ahead."

"Why you gotta be like that?"

"Ask me!" I turn around to walk away.

"Come on, bud. I don't get you. Seriously, what's your problem?"

That's it. I throw my sack at him a punch square in the jaw. He throws me to the ground and punches back. I eventually get up and walk off.

As I walk towards the house I see a silhouette at dads grave. As I get closer I can tell it's Miss Cuthbert.

It turns out, before dad left for the military, he had asked her to join him. But she declined. She couldn't leave her family.

She leaves and I go into the house. I'm leaving tomorrow.