37

Y/n's POV

During school today we went on a walk through the forest. It was peaceful to begin, I was walking at the back with the girls, trying to listen to what Miss Stacy had to say, but all I could do was take in the beautiful sight and the scent of fresh grass and rain.

As the girls giggle about something Miss Stacy said, I hear a scream as we watch Moody slip on a rock and cut his shin open. Ruby then faints at the sight of the blood or the sight of a couple of the Mi'kmaq children.

A group of girls run to help Ruby while everyone else either stands around or stares and Moody. Gilbert says Moody needs stitches and Anne runs of with the Mi'kmaq children to get someone who can help. It's all very stressful but all I can think about is how to stop Moody from screaming.

Anne comes back with the medicine lady who give Moody some kind of plant that helps with the pain before using some of Gilbert's honey to clean the wound to then sew it up. Gilbert seemed very impressed. And he was.

That evening back at his house, Bash, Mary, Delphine and I listen to him go on about, it's amazing how his mind works.

"And the bees, it's amazing, how they can produce a substance that actually heals wounds. Why is that not in any of the medical textbooks I read? And the medicine woman's used willow bark for pain! That tree's been right underneath my nose this whole time. It's... incredible! There's so much out there. Why can't we use nature to be on the winning side of medicine? Makes you wonder doesn't it? What else there is that we don't know."

"I... don't know." Bash laughs.

"That medicine woman saved my life. There's a lot we could learn from people like her." Mary adds as Delly seems to coo in agreement.

"I don't know either, but I want to know." Gilbert says turning around spoon in hand from the dinner he's supposedly making.

"I can tell you one thing." Bash says. "You're dripping stew."

Mary and I laugh quietly as Gilbert puts the spoon down.

The next day, after school Anne and Diana take me to look at the Take Notice Board.

"Y/n, there's one for you!" Anne exclaims.

"Here's another." Diana adds. "Both from Gilbert it seems." They both giggle.

"Three for you Diana, and you Anne." I laugh as I point them out.

"It's odd that there aren't more for me." We hear Ruby say behind us.

As we walk away Diana tells Anne she think Anne might get a post from Charlie soon.

"What? Charlie, Charlie?"

"Yes. The Charlie who couldn't stop looking at you earlier." Diana laughs.

"Fiddlesticks." Anne responds and I part ways from them.

The next day as the girls look at the board again I sit with Miss Stacy and Gilbert in her office to do some study, I'm quite interested in (put your academic interests in the comments, mines probably english, history or philosophy).

"Medical research at the Sorbonne in Paris. Funny, Doctor Ward mentioned antitoxins last month." Gilbert says as he read his newspaper.

"What's an antitoxin?" Anne asks from the doorway as she takes a newspaper for herself.

"It's a new kind of preventative medicine." I say, not looking up from my book.

"Exactly. Seems to actually be working, from the look of it, even though doctor Ward called it 'nonsense'."

"Of course it works." I laugh, still reading.

"Most people have a hard time trusting new ideas. The Sorbonne is an excellent university." Miss Stacy adds. "All three of you could thrive there."

"And it's thousands of miles and dollars away." Gilbert sighs.

"I know a doctor named Emily Oak who's doing similar work at the University of Toronto." Miss Stacy suggests.

"A female doctor?" Anne gasps.

"Perhaps you could write to her, Gilbert. I expect she could guide you to Canadian universities specialising in medical research." Miss Stacy continues.

"Thank you. I'll take you up on that." Gilbert nods.