45

Y/n's POV

I haven't been to school in a few weeks, Elizabeth's mother took ill. It is difficult for Mr Stuarts to look after her and young Lilly, while Elizabeth is still busy with baby Georgie, so my parents decided that I would effectively be George's nanny while Lizzy lives with her parents. And my parents are away visiting my aunt in the mainland.

Anne and Diana often walk Lilly home from school, Lilly is also staying with me at Lizzy's house just incase her mother is contagious. She gets along very well with her nephew. She calls him little brother, which I find very funny.

"Y/n, we're here." Diana says from the entrance room as I walk down the stairs with the baby in my arms.

"Hello. Thanks again for walking her home." I say to Anne and Diana as Lilly runs over to me to say hi to Georgie.

"It's no problem. Gilbert says he will bring some dinner over for you, Adam and these little guys." Anne says before she takes George from my tired arms and Lilly follows her to the sitting room.

I watch as Lilly places a kiss on Georgie's cheek while Anne holds the now energetic and happy baby.

"You seem exhausted." Diana laughs as she squeezes my hand.

"I'm doing my best. Mrs Stuarts is getting better. Lilly should be able to go home soon, but I will probably stay here with Lizzy and my brother until George sleeps through the night." I joke.

"Or until you go to university, the Queens entrance exams are so soon, and if I can't do it you have to. We are too clever to be housewives." She laughs, but there is a look of disappointment in her eyes.

"We both have to do it."

We spend the next few hours studying with Anne while Lilly practices the piano and Georgie rests. By the time Gilbert arrives with some food we have aced almost every practice test Miss Stacy gave us.

Gilbert helps me serve the food for the kids and Adam before offering to take Anne and Diana back to their homes.

At the door we whisper our "I love you's" and say goodbye before he leaves.

I walk back to the kitchen where Adam is sitting with George in his arms and Lilly next to him, half asleep.

"I'll put them to bed now." I say and he just shakes his head.

"Sister, I can do that. You have been doing too much for us. You sleep. You have the Queens university exams tomorrow."

I try to argue but I am too exhausted, so I don't.