41

Y/n's POV

Anne almost burnt the cake, but it's perfect now. We set it up with leaves and flowers with the other cakes and it is beautiful.

The ribbon Lilly gave me convinced me to wear my dress of a similar colour, Anne says I look pretty but I feel like a porcelain doll, pretty but fragile. Where's Gilbert?

I can barely finish the thought when I see him, with the most beautiful young woman I have ever seen. I feel myself staring, I turn away but out of the corner of my eye I see them start walking towards me.

"So this is the famous y/n?" I hear a girl say behind me.

I plaster a nice smile on my face and try my hardest to hide my anger and heartbreak.

"That's me. And who are you?" I ask, avoiding Gilbert's eyes.

"Y/n, this is Winnie." He says.

"It's such a pleasure to meet you. Gilbert has told me so much about you." She says as she shakes my hand and curtsy's a little.

"Really? He's never mentioned you."

"Why would he? I'm not the love of his life." She laughs. What?

"I'm sorry?"

"Y/n-"

"Winnie, would you please excuse us? It was nice to meet you." I say before dragging Gilbert away from her, holding the arm she had been.

"Y/n. You look so beautiful." He whispers once we're out of the crowd, hidden behind a tent.

"Who is she? Why have you been avoiding me? Talk to me?" I demand, still whispering.

"She's a friend I met at work, she's helping me to become a proper gentleman, so that I am the perfect husband. Perfect husband for you." He explains, lifting my chin up with his hand so that our eyes meet. "I haven't been trying to avoid you. I have been working and studying and trying to become the man you deserve. You deserve the world, my love"

"You are my world." I whisper and he closes the gap between our lips.

"And you are mine."

"Now, I want to get to know your friend." I say as I walk away from him, I glance back at him and he looks like a stunned puppy.