16

Y/n's POV

It's the day of the wedding and we are all so excited. Elizabeth looks stunning in her mothers dress and I am wearing a baby blue dress to match the flowers I picked for her bouquet.

It's a beautiful ceremony and I did see Gilbert there.

When we left the church he came up to me and told me how everything looked beautiful and we walked to my home for the party. After the first dance, Adam and I danced together and he told me how happy he was and how he can't wait for what the future holds for the both of them. After a while I go sit down and watch my parents toast to the couple.

Gilbert walks over to me and sits and we talk about the food, we are talking about the cake when Ruby comes over and asks Gilbert to dance with her, he looks over at me as if asking for permission and I just smile.

They go and join a group to do the dashing white sergeant. I look around realising that I am the only girl not dancing so I go over to Lilly and ask her to dance with me. After a couple of songs she gets tired and goes over to her parents, I go to sit back down when I feel someone grab my hand and I turn to see Gilbert.

"May I have this dance?" he asks.

"I don't see anyone else lining up to dance with me." I laugh and we go dance, it's nice to see him out of the house again.

Gilbert's POV

It's been two days since the wedding and and I am working in the shed out back when I hear screaming.

I run inside and see my dad, lying still on his bed. My heart breaks and I run out of the room, out of the house. I keep running until im outside y/n's house. But I don't knock, I just stand there, tears streaming down my face. I turn around and begin to leave when I hear the door open.

"Gilbert?" Y/n says, "Gilbert, what are you doing here?" I turn around and she sees my tears, "oh Gilbert!" She pulls me into the biggest hug ever, but it's no comfort to me. I sob into her shoulder.

"He's gone" I whisper and I feel her arms rap tighter around me.

"Come inside." She says pulling away and taking my hand. We walk into the house, I know she can't take me to her room but I want to just be alone with her. She takes me to the library and closes the door behind us.

"No one will come in here. Do you want to talk, cry? I can't imagine how you feel, but I wish I could take all your pain away." We sit down on the couch and I just look at her, she's so beautiful and kind, she's my best friend and I am so grateful for her.

"Thank god I have you. What would I do if I didn't have you? I love you so much y/n." I place my hand on her cheek and lean in to kiss her.

Y/n's POV

I don't know what to do, I don't want it to stop, but I feel like he doesn't mean it. I pull away and take him in my arms, hugging is more appropriate but I don't have to let him go completely.

"I'm sorry." He says and tries to pull away.

"No. Don't be. Don't go." We stay in this hug until he's all cried out and he falls asleep on my shoulder.

I feel so sorry for him.