34

Elizabeth's POV

The vote is clear, Miss Stacy stays. I see the overwhelming face of relief on y/n as I run to hug her.

"You did it!" I say as I am embraced by not only y/n but Anne and Diana as well. These young girls have made a big impact on this small town today.

As I leave the building with y/n and Lilly by my sides when I feel a stabbing pain in my belly and water rushing down my legs. Suddenly I'm on the ground screaming.

"Lizzy! Breathe! Lizzy-" And everything goes quiet, I can see everyone talking and yelling but I can't hear them. This pain is overwhelming.

Y/n's POV

"Mother!" I cry looking around at the crowd that has formed.

"What happened?" Adam yells when he reaches my side.

"I don't know she just... I don't know!" I say through sobs.

"Get her to the carriage!"

"Give her space!"

"We need a doctor!"

Everyone is yelling and space is closing in on us.

"JUST MOVE!" I scream. Everyone stops and takes a step back. "Adam, help me lift her to the carriage. We're going to your house. Mother, Father, take Lilly home." I instruct.

We carry her to the carriage and I climb in next to her, Adam gets into the drivers seat and is about to leave and Anne, Diana and Gilbert climb in next to me.

"What are you doing?" I ask them.

"We can help. I think she's about to have the baby." Anne says.

"What? Never mind. How can you help?"

"Are we going?" Adam asks from the front.

"Yes."

"When I was helping with the Hammonds they had lots of children. I know what to do." Anne says.

"I helped a woman in Trinidad. Her baby was breeched." Gilbert adds.

"I just wanted to make sure you were ok." Diana smiles.

"What- what's happening?" I hear Lizzy mumbles from beside me.

"We think your having the baby. You're ok." I say taking her hand.

"Great, just great." She mumbles resting her head back.

When we get to her house we help her to a bedroom. Diana and I lay her down while Anne gets towels and Gilbert gets a tub of warm water ready.

"Do I stay?" Adam asks me, his voice a mix of nerves and excitement.

"If you want to." Elizabeth smiles before screaming again.

"Anne!" I yell as Diana holds Lizzy's hands.

"Coming!" Anne says before running back into the room with plenty of towels. "Ok Lizzy. All you have to do right now is let your body do it's thing. When you're contractions and consistent and you're fully dilated you'll need to start pushing but right now you just need to breathe." Anne says in a surprisingly soothing tone.

I hear a panicked knock at the front door and when I open it I see Mrs Stuarts and my Mother.

"Is she ok?" They asks as I lead them to her room.

"She's having a baby." I say happily.

"Mother!" Lizzy exclaims happily as we make it back to the room.

"Hi sweetie." Mrs Stuarts smiles. "Anne, Diana, are you going to stay and help deliver the baby?" She asks the girls who look to Lizzy who nods happily. "Excellent. You seem to be on top of things."

"Oh, hi." Gilbert says as he enters the room holding a tub of water.

"And Mr Blythe!" Mother says happily taking the tub from him.

"Wonderful. Gilbert please take Adam out of the room and do something else while the women work." Mrs Stuarts say quickly while pushing them out of the room.

"Oh, of course." Adam mumbles, looking back at his wife quickly before closing the doors.

"Alright, how far apart are her contractions?" Mrs Stuarts asks and as if on que Lizzy starts screaming again. "Perfect."