17

Gilbert's POV

I'm still not attending school. Dads funeral will be on Saturday, tomorrow. One week we have a wedding the next a funeral.

I haven't spoken to y/n since Monday, when I kissed her. I don't know what I was thinking, but I really wanted to kiss her. I don't want things to be weird now, but I think things will never be weird with her.

She's coming tomorrow, almost everyone in town is coming tomorrow. I'm glad so many people want to celebrate his life but I don't think I can talk to that many people and hear them say 'we're sorry for your loss' a thousand times.

I haven't left the house in days. I just sit in his room like I used to and think about the future, and all I see is y/n. I see us in a big house, three kids, and a beautiful rose garden. The house isn't this one. This house is a farmhouse, I don't want to be a farmer. I don't know what I want. I need to get out of here. Go somewhere else. Out of Avonlea.

The funeral is tomorrow.

The sun begins to set so I make some food and get an early sleep.

I wake up and get dressed. I have to make my way to the church to meet with the reverend.

I don't want to. I see the Cuthbert's, y/l/n's and Stuarts when I get to the church. I thank them for coming but I ask we don't talk until after the ceremony. After the burial, everyone goes inside but y/n waits out with me near the grave. We don't talk she just sits with me. I am crying quietly trying to hold in my sobs but I don't have to pretend with her.

I feel her take my hand and I can't hold it in anymore.

"Y/n, will this ever go away?" I ask, I hate feeling like this.

"You can't expect to feel better already. You need time. Time to grieve. Time to remember. Time won't fix, but it will help. Just don't feel it was your fault, because I can tell you are thinking that right now and I promise you, there was nothing more you could do. You loved him, and you stayed with him. That's what he needed." She squeezes my hand and I rest my head on her shoulder.

We sit like that for a while until her mother calls her to come inside. It sit with my dad for a bit longer watching snow fall gently around us. After a while I feel like I should go inside but when I get closer to the house I decide to turn around and that's when I hear Anne.

She's talking about how we're both orphans now, and then she says something, something I did not need to hear. Lucky. She thinks I am lucky? I start to yell at her, I don't even know what I'm saying I just say it.

Then I notice y/n standing behind Anne. I walk away and hear y/n say something to Anne.

"How dare you! It is not the same situation! He watched his father die and now he has no one! You got adopted! You have parents now! How dare you!"

"Shut up! You have no idea what it was like! You have always had parents. Rich, loving parents, a mother and a father! You have no idea what your saying!" That's it.

"Anne, don't..." I turn around. As I say this y/n walks away.

"Of course you side with her! I am your friend too!" Anne pushes me a little.

"It's not the same! She's... and you're... its not the same." Yes Anne is my friend, but she's more of a friendly competitor in school, she pushes me to be my best, academically. Y/n, she's different, she's emotional and caring and empathetic. I can talk to her so easily.

"How? How is it different? Tell me!" She screams.

"I LOVE HER!"