28

Diana's POV

As I wait for Anne outside the school house I see y/n follow Gilbert into the forest. I'm not a snoop. But I was so bored. I decided to watch them walk away. But that's not what I saw. First he hugged her and she didn't pull away. Even when one of us girls hug her she usually pulls away. It was a long hug before he pulled away a little. Now they were just talking and I couldn't hear so I was going to turn around when I saw y/n kiss Gilbert. And not like a little kiss. It was completely inappropriate. They're not even engaged.

They walk away soon after and I'm still in utter shock.

"Anne!" I yell when she comes out of the school.

"What Diana." She says in a dull tone.

"You'll never believe what I just saw!"

"Gossip is bad, Diana." She reminds me coldly.

"I can't not tell!" I argue.

"What was it Diana?" She asks finally giving in.

"Y/n kissing Gilbert." I whisper.

She doesn't seem as shocked as I thought she would be. "So what?"

"So what?! Isn't Billy still trying to get her back?" I ask in disbelief.

"Billy can try all he wants. Gilbert loves y/n. And it's definitely mutual. But you cannot tell anyone. Promise me you won't tell anyone?" Anne says seriously.

"Ok, I promise. But when did this happen!"

"I found out at the funeral."

"That was over a year ago! I can't believe you kept it a secret for so long." I laugh.

"I almost let it slip this morning. That's why y/n was yelling at me." Anne laughs a bit too. But then she turns serious and sad again.

We walk the rest of the path as I listen to her complain about the essay she has to write.

Gilbert's POV

I'm still thinking about my kiss with  y/n the next morning.

Bash asks for help with something for the farm but I have to get to school early and we get in a fight about me exhilarating my studies.

I do feel bad but he has to understand that this is something I want.

Now that I'm going to school early I can't walk with y/n. I guess we still see each other there and we can walk home together. But it feels lonely without her hand in mine.

When I get the school house Miss Stacy gives me a medical journal and explains why I need to read it. I like learning, but I like learning with a purpose more.

The classroom fills with students but I'm too busy reading to notice. That is until Anne starts bothering me. I didn't even know she was there but when I look up I see everyone, and Miss Cuthbert. It was strange that she was there but I kept looking around until I found the y/e/c eyes of my love.

"Gilbert. Did you hear what I said?" Anne says in her rude tone.

"Anne, I'm busy and I really don't see how your education effects me." I retort matching her tone. She finally leaves me alone.