32

Gilbert's POV

I hop on the train to Charlottetown, to look for Bash. I notice a flash of red hair outside. That's when I see Anne and Y/n hoping onto the freight, followed by Ruby, Diana, Moody and Cole.

When the train arrives at the station I walk up to the cart I saw them go into and stand there as Anne opens the door.

"What are you doing here?" She asks.

"We'll I figure I should ask you the same question. Hello."

"Hi." Y/n murmurs a light blush on her cheeks.

We walk out of the station as a group and I tell Anne and Y/n about Bash.

Annes POV

We part with Gilbert and y/n falls back to walk with Diana.

Soon Cole is next to me.

"You know Gilbert has a crush on you right?" He laughs.

"What?! No, he doesn't."

"See you at the afternoon train." And with that he walks off.

"Say hello to aunt Jo for me! And it's not true!" I yell after him.

"What's not true?" Diana asks as the other catch up to me.

"Nothing, Cole was just being ridiculous. Let's go." I send a sympathetic look to y/n and I hope she understands.

Y/n's POV

We make our way to the pawn shop and place all our items on the counter. Anne does the talking. We need lightbulbs.

Gilbert's POV

I knock on Mary's door, I'm about to ask about Bash but she beats me to it.

Turns out Bash was with her but ran off when he saw her hug her son, he didn't know she had Elijah. He leaves soon after meeting me.

We run to the laundry mat.

"Have you seen Sebastian?" Mary asks her friends.

"Give me my five bucks back."

"We didn't wanna turn him out but we didn't want to scare off the customers."

"So he's here? Where?"

We find him fast asleep and hungover in a tub. I try to wake him up. He opens his eyes slowly.

I tell him how the man he saw was Mary's son.

Quickly he is much more awake.

"Her son? Your son?" He asks us. She nods shamefully. "Does that mean you can marry me?"

Mary chuckles in disbelief, "Marry you?" They stare at each other for a moment before she leans in and kisses him.

The other washerwomen and I laugh and smile.

As I help Bash out of the basket he's sitting in he asks what I'm doing there.

"Oh, I guess I have a wedding gift for you." I chuckle. "This is the deed to to the farm. I'd like you to sign onto it, because you are my partner. My family. I want you to have a stake in the land, fair and square."

"We're in this together." He laughs.

"We are. And, hey, I'm sorry. I'm not changing the plan."

He nods and pulls me into a hug.

Y/n's POV

As we were walking back down the street from the pawn shop, Moody tripped and all the lightbulbs he was carrying shattered.

With no money and nothing to do we went to Miss Barry's house.

"What are you going to do?" Cole asks once Anne had explained what happened.

"I might be out of ideas." Anne mumbles.

"But you're never out of ideas!" Ruby cries.

"Y/n? Do you have any ideas?" Anne asks pleadingly.

"One. But... Miss Barry?"

"Indeed. Rollings, do we have any ladders?" She smiles.

We all begin collecting the lightbulbs from around the house.

"Diana." Miss Barry says as she walks into where Diana and I are. "I'm giving you children train fare to get home. You've had enough adventure for one day."

"Thank you Aunt Josephine. You won't tell mother and father about this, will you?"

"And reduce your opportunities for more enriching adventures? Never." She smiles. "And you," she says as she turns to me, "I think you are a very resourceful girl and do hope this all works out."

"Thank you ma'am." I smile.

"Now run along." She says and I leave to add to our collection of lightbulbs.