40

Y/n's POV

We danced. And for that moment everything was quiet. Everything was perfect.

And then it wasn't.

Gilbert was spending all his time with a doctor in town. I felt so alone, but I wasn't.

Lilly was taking up all my time, so I had Anne and Diana come over every day.

Anne was attempting to make a cake for the county fair, Mary's recipe. Mary was caring for Daphne.

"Anne!" I laughed as she almost spilled the cake batter. "Careful."

"I'm trying," she sneezed out, "I feel a bit sick. But I will make this cake and it will be perfect."

"Of course it will be, Anne." Diana assures her. "Y/n, are you excited to see Gilbert today, to dance with him tonight." She says mockingly.

"Oh, you two are such an adorable couple. You haven't spoken about him in weeks, where's he been?" Anne asks as she looks around the kitchen, "Where's the- oh, it's here." She mumbles as she finds a wooden spoon next to her.

"I don't know, I haven't seen him outside of school since we did the dance practice. I went by his house a few times but he's always working."

"Well, he must be at the fair today. You danced so beautifully." Diana states.

"You embarrassed me."

"You two should go get dressed, I can manage this cake by myself, with Lilly of course." Anne says as Lilly runs into the room with too many ribbons to count.

"Diana! Anne! Y/n! Here!" She says placing three of the ribbons on the table. "Anne, you have to wear the green one, Diana blue and Y/n... this one!" She says pointing to a pearly pinkish ribbon. "Wear them to the fair."

"Ok, we will, thank you Lilly." Diana says, picking up her blue silk ribbon.

"Lilly, will you be ok to stay here with Anne and help her with the cake?" I ask her as she passes me my ribbon.

"Yep."

And with that Diana and I walk to her house to pick out dresses for her and Anne.

Gilbert's POV

"Winnie is coming to the fair today, with her family." I tell Bash as I try to find a decent white shirt.

"What about y/n? Have you moved on from her?" Bash laughs.

"Of course not. Winnie is just a friend, she wants to meet y/n. Will y/n be there?"

"Yes. Why have you not asked her yourself?" Mary asks from the doorway.

"I've been busy. And so has she. We need to get through school."

"Does y/n even know about Winnie?"

"Well, no, but they will get along fine." I don't know if I'm convincing them or myself.