44

Gilbert's POV

"No." I say as she tries to leave.

"No?"

"Yes. No."

"What are you saying? I honestly don't understand you."

"I love you."

"I-"

"Do you understand that? I love you."

"Yes, ok, I understand."

"And?"

"And I love you. But... you and Winnie..."

"No. You and me. Only you and me."

"... forever?"

"And ever." I say as she finally accepts my hug and melts into my arms.

"You smell like daisies."

"Thank you, dear. Now, are you staying for the dance tonight? Because if you leave I will too, you're the only person I will dance with."

She looks up at me with her stunning eyes and perfect smile. "I will stay. But you better not mess up any of the dances."

"I would never. You might though. You'll get too distracted by my eyes and trip over your own feet."

"I'm pretty sure that's going to be reversed, but only time will tell."

Y/n's POV

We dance as much as we could and when the dashing white sergeant ends I get pulled into a group with the girls who are all giggling about Gilbert's new sweetheart.

"Could we please talk about something other than boys?" Diana laughs as she glances over to me.

"Yeah, um, I need some fresh air." Josie mumbles before walking away.

I see Gilbert across the room with the rest of the boys, except Billy. He smiles at me and I wave back as subtlety as possible. He tries to blow me a kiss when one of the boys asks him something and they all turn to look in my direction. I look away quickly and try to start a conversation with Anne and Diana but I can tell that the boys will hound Gilbert with questions about what just happened.

No long after Josie walks back in, she looks upset and confused.

"Josie?" I say quietly to her and Anne turns to fix the bow in Josie's hair.

I think I know what might have happened and when Billy walks in angrily, I know it was his doing.

I watch as he goes over to the boys, tells them something and they all start laughing and looking over at Josie.

"Hey, what's so funny over here?" I ask after I walk up to them, Gilbert is paying attention and also asks what they're talking about.

"Nothing for you to be worried about. Go away and dance." Billy says to me.

"Actually I'm quite tired. I think I'll ask Josie to go get some fresh air with me." I say as I walk away to find Josie.

Anne follows me a bit later and we find Josie sitting at a table alone.

"Josie, are you alright?" I ask.

"I'm fine."

"Really? The boys are saying things about you and Billy." Anne adds.

"What are they saying?" Josie asks nervously.

Anne looks around and once she find Billy, she looks like she has a plan.

She storms up to him while he gossips with his little friends.

"How dare you!"

"Come to beg for a kiss too?" He laughs.

"Beg?" I scoff as I walk over to back her up.

"That's not what happened and you know it!" Anne yells. "How dare you spread nasty rumours about my friend!"

"You weren't there. You don't know what you're talking about."

"We have eyes. We can see she is devastated. You shouldn't have touched her Billy!" I yell.

"Well... I guess she regrets having loose morals."

"Oh that's it!" I scream right before I punch him in the face.

Well, I didn't actually punch him in the face. I just wanted to. I really wanted to.