33

Y/n's POV

"Go, go." Anne and I say to our group as they get on the train, with tickets this time.

"Here, I can take that." Gilbert offers lifting the box from my hands.

"Thank you. Cole, hurry, you'll miss it." Anne yells.

"Hurry! What are you doing?" I yell as Anne climbs the first step.

"I'm not going back." He says blankly.

I walk towards him, Anne following quickly.

"What?" Anne asks.

"Aunt Jo said I could live with her."

"But your family..." Anne mumbles.

"I know. But I can be free here, myself! I need to be who I am."

"I understand." I say, tears building in my eyes. I pull him into a quick hug. "We'll visit."

He smiles. "Anne?"

"I'll miss you." She says hugging him tightly.

"Anne, we have to go." I sigh.

"Go. Go. It'll be fine. This is good!" He yells as we board the train.

Anne sits with Diana, Ruby and Moody and I find Gilbert sitting alone a few aisles back.

"Did you find him?" I ask as I sit down across from him.

"Yes. He was with Mary." He smiles taking my hand.

"I'm going to asume that's a good thing." I laugh.

"Can I tell you a secret?" He whispers.

"Is it your secret to tell?"

"No."

"Oh, tell me."

"Bash and Mary are going to get married."

"Married? Like husband and wife?" I gasp.

"Yes. Isn't that great?"

"Will she come to live in Avonlea?"

"Yes."

"Can she cook?"

"Yes."

"Then that's excellent news!" I laugh.

When we all arrive back home we get started with the lightbulbs and potatoes.

Anne leads us into the meeting house and we sit on the top balcony to watch the meeting.

Suddenly we hear a motor stop outside and the doors swing open.

"Miss Stacy." Mrs Lynde says angrily, "If you don't mind, we're conducting a meeting. I don't recall your presence being requested."

"Indeed my presence was not requested but I feel I have a right to speak on my own behalf." Miss Stacy responds. "It would be easier on all of us if I left. You cannot imagine I would want to cause decently in your community, or that I appreciate being accused of purposefully doing so. I am here tonight because I asked myself a question, that I ask you now. What is the most important thing to focus on regarding your children's education? Petty jealousy? Prejudice? Fear? The important question to ask yourself is, are your children learning? I believe the answer is yes."

"We have to hurry." Anne whisper to us and we start descending from the balcony, potato lights in hand.

"Change isn't comfortable," Miss Stacy continues, "because the future isn't comfortable. Yet the future is riding in fast, like a train. And to the best of my ability, I am here to bring your children forward to meet it. I understand my methods are unusual, but hands on learning and active engagement have proven more effective than rote memorisation. Why not encourage them to think gor themselves? Why teach only what has come before?"

As she continues speaking I feel eyes on me from behind and turn around to a smiling Gilbert. I smile back and turn to Anne, "Ready?" I whisper.

"Dreamers change the world. Curious minds propel us forward. My intention is to build strong students with bright futures, not just for them but for everyone. That is why I am here."

And we enter. Anne leads from the right and I from the left. We walk up the aisles to meet at the front of the hall where Miss Stacy stands, holding our lights up.

"What you have just witnessed is the effect of Miss Stacy's methods in action." Anne begins.

"She taught us about electricity, but she also showed us the spirit of enthusiasm and curiosity that we needed to make this happen." I say. "Miss Stacy is an inspiration."

"We learned more from her in a week than we did in a year. Tell me and I forget," Anne continues.

"Teach me and I remember," I add.

"Involve me and I learn. Different isn't bad, it's just not the same." Anne finishes.

There is a second of silence until Mathew Cuthbert stands.

There's always another way to look at things." He says before sitting back down. Annes smile grows 10 sizes.

"I returned to Avonlea because I needed what has always been here." Gilbert starts, "But why would I stay if I can't grow?" We make eye contact and he smiles lightly, "Miss Stacy supports my ambition to become a doctor. I believe she is our chance to help us realise our dreams and become more than we are now."

"As someone who lived without change for the bulk of my life and then had great change thrust upon me, I can attest that it is the only way to grow and learn." Marilla Cuthbert says.

"Let's put this to a vote." I hear Mrs Lynde say from behind me. "All in favour of keeping Miss Stacy?" She says with a smile as she raises her hand.

Anne holds her potato light high above her head and we all follow as we watch the town vote.