4

Y/n's POV

I wake up as soon as the sun rises. Today will be ok.
I walk downstairs and start setting the table before mother even asks. It's better to not talk. We eat breakfast and I leave for school. As I am getting closer to the school I remember my conversation with Gilbert yesterday, I hope today won't be too awkward.

I get to school, go inside, put my things away and sit down, ignoring Josie and Ruby's yelling.

"Y/N! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU LATELY? Aren't you going to apologise to Ruby for what you said yesterday?" Josie screams at me throwing her books down on my desk.

"Ok, fine. Ruby I am sincerely sorry for what I said yesterday, but it was just unfair what you two were doing to Anne, she didn't even know about the dibs." I say in the kindest voice I can muster.

"Yes, thank you, y/n." After that they walk away and let me draw.

I am in the middle of drawing a cherry blossom tree when someone bumps my desk, ruining the whole page.

"Ugh!" I gasp standing up to look at whoever did this, it was Gilbert, well really it was Billy, I could tell he pushed him. Boys are so frustrating.

"Oh dear, y/n. I am so sorry, really, I didn't mean to bump into you. I am so sorry." Gilbert says, but I am already thinking about something else. Why does he look so freaked out? What were they talking about before this happened?

"It's ok, I guess." I look down at my drawing, "it wasn't really your fault, Gilbert." I say that part quietly so only he can hear me. He nods and walks away. I sit down and class starts a couple minutes later.

Halfway through the lesson I realise Anne hasn't shown up today, I'm sure it had something to do with what happened in class yesterday, so I don't worry that she is sick or anything bad.

At lunch the girls ask me to sit with them but I tell them I would rather go outside by myself. I find a place to sit and start drawing, it's nice and peaceful until Billy runs over and tries to talk to me. He is one of the most annoying people. Eventually he leaves me alone and Gilbert walks over.

"Hi?" I ask because I don't know what he wants.

"Hey, can I sit?" I look around first then nod. "I am really sorry for this morning."

"I know, but it wasn't your fault." I smile slightly, still focused on my pencil and paper.

"I also came over here to talk about yesterday, after school..." he says kinda quietly.

"Oh? What about it?" I think I know what he is talking about but I want to be sure.

"Why'd you start crying? You don't even know my dad." He sounds genuinely confused.

"Its just, I know what it feels like to lose the only person that has really been there for you. I know Adam isn't dead, but when he left, he didn't even say goodbye and I haven't heard from him, and we don't even talk about him at home. It's like he just disappeared." I say but as I am talking I can't stop a tear from running down my cheek.

"Oh. I didn't know, that must be really hard." How can he be sympathetic to me when he is the one losing his father?

"Yep, well all I am saying is cherish the time you have left with him, as much as you can." I wipe my tears away and stand to walk away when I hear him whisper "thank you" and I just keep walking.

For the rest of school I try to pay as much attention as I can but we have already learned this stuff and I got bored. When school is let out I leave as fast as I can so I don't have to talk to anyone.

When I get home I can hear father yelling. I am very confused as he hasn't been like this since Adam left. I walk into the house anyway and as I am trying to go up to my room, I hear a very familiar voice. Adam?