𝟸𝟾

Ch 𝟸𝟾:Failed Family Functions____

Ch 𝟸𝟾:
Failed Family Functions
____

3:13pm
TWO DAYS LATER
houston, tx

"Mhm! Divorced him last year and now she's engaged to his brother. Her soon-to-be mother-in-law cussed her ass out. Ooh, I'm tellin' you, y'all should've been there." Mari watched her aunt talk through hooded eyes as she sat on the couch, her arms crossed over her chest.

It seemed like all Marie-Anne did was run her mouth and Mari was starting to get irritated by it. She had some type of mess on everyone in the family and she was just too old for that.

"Aunt Marie, you do entirely too much." Mari's cousin, Mercedes, spoke from behind the couch where she stood.

Marie-Anne, turned around and eyed her, as did the other older women in the living room. "Excuse me?"

"You stay talking 'bout everyone." Cedes clarified, causing Mari to hide her smile behind her hand.

Cedes was that one cousin that simply didn't care about what came out of her mouth. As children, Mercedes was always the one teaching the younger kids how to cuss, her parents always got calls from the school about her behavior, she was always putting someone in their place, etcetera. She became a little more reserved and put-together as she got older, but she still wasn't scared to speak her mind whenever she felt necessary.

Mercedes wasn't blood-related to Marie-Anne either so she didn't bother to hide her distaste towards the woman.

"You should learn to stay-"

"-in a child's place?" She finished the infamous line for her, "I'm not a child anymore, so that's dead. And I know a forty year old woman with a grandma name didn't just call me a child."

Marie-Anne twisted her body completely to face Cedes, "Who in the hell raised you?" She stared at her with her lip curled.

"You just don't like someone telling you about yourself but when it comes to other people you'll go off. Ironic isn't it? Listen, I don't fight old women, but if you keep running your mouth, one day you're gonna come across someone who does."

Without waiting to hear a response, Cedes turned on her heels and walked out of the living room, leaving the older women with raised eyebrows and agape mouths. Mari coughed to cover her laughter.

"That one right there? Always been smart ass. Her mouth started running before she did. Guess who she gets it from?" Aunt Marie shook her head disapprovingly before jumping right back into her conversation with the other uninterested women. Mari subtly rolled her eyes before getting up from the couch and walking out of the room herself.