• Step Aside, Brother •

I opened the refrigerator before searching for something to eat. Calix pulled me out of the way before shooting at his window.

I screamed when the glass broke. A man with a ski mask on fell to the ground outside. What in the actual fuck just happened.

"Go upstairs," Calix told me and I nodded before darting up to my room. I locked the door behind me before jumping onto my bed.

After staring at the white door for an hour someone knocked on it. I stayed quiet afraid that it might be a killer.

"It's me open the door," Calix said blankly so I went over to the door. I hugged him before he could stop me.

He always comes back.

I looked up at him and he looked at me confused. His body was stiff so I let him go. I noticed a cut on his hand so I frowned before grabbing his hand.

"What happened?" I asked while examining the cut.

"Are you okay?" He asked to avoid my question so I nodded.

"Who was that?" I asked curiously.

"No one," Calix replied blankly before turning around on his heels to leave the room.

"Why do they want me dead?" I asked again and he froze in his spot.

"Why did you kidnap me?" I asked again.

"I di- They just want to get to me that's it." He said before leaving the room.

"You're lying," I said while following him down the hallway.

"What matters is that you're not dead." He said harshly and I inched back from him. "Stop being such an ungrateful brat." He said before entering his room.

"Hijo de puta." I cursed at him in his own language. I went back to my room before sitting on my bed. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this.

I don't get it. I'm not rich... Yet.

My parents aren't rich. Calix is not looking for a ransom and people are constantly trying to kill me. I need to know why I'm here.

I went outside and headed towards his office. I froze when I heard voices coming from there.

I hid behind the wall and leaned closer.

"-Not what I said. All I'm saying is that they're not gonna stop." An unfamiliar male voice said.

"I don't give a fuck. I have to protect her. If I hadn't taken her-"

"Then my sister would be dead." The other voice said and I frowned deeply. Wait, I thought they were talking about me.

That's what I get for eavesdropping.

"Listen we can go to France on Monday and we'll handle business," Calix said in a husky tone.

"Great uh- can I meet her?" The man asked Calix and there was silence.

"Why?"

"I don't know you've been hiding her since she got here." The man said slowly.

"Fine," Calix said and my eyes widened before I ran into the kitchen. I opened the refrigerator to act naturally when I heard footsteps entering the kitchen.

"You just don't want to get away from that refrigerator, do you?" Calix asked so I acted surprised to see him.

"I'm hungry. You pulled me away last time I was here, remember?" I asked him and he just glared at me.

"Vicente meet Nevaeh," Calix said before stepping aside. The tattooed man came over to me before looking at me with a smile on his face.

Oh my gosh, you guys we were at 300 reads yesterday and today we're at 1.2K... That's so incredible and the best gift for Easter.☕

Thank you for supporting my book. Stay safe and stay vivacious.💙