• Believe Me •

"What does he mean he can't have children?" I asked Vicente who sighed.

"Two years ago I got into an accident. The doctors told me that I would never be able to have children and when Calix found out he and our best friend Mikey both got vasectomies to support me." Vicente said before breathing through his nose in frustration. What a friendship.

"We're brothers, Nevaeh. And if someone fucks with my brother-"

"Are you serious? I'm your sister."

"That's not the point. You've got some serious explaining to do." Vicente said before pinching the bridge of his nose.

"So now it's my fault that he made me pregnant? Because it takes two to tango. God, I swear I didn't sleep with anyone but him." I said while looking into Vicente's eyes.

"So it hasn't occurred to any of you that the doctors might have made an error during the operation?" Kelly asked as if we were dumb.

"Fine, I believe you," Vicente said before pulling me into a hug. "But Calix is Calix and he won't believe you unless you have- sufficient evidence."

"Sufficient evidence? You mean like a DNA test?" I asked and Vicente sighed.

"That could work," Kelly said hopefully.

"This is humiliating. But I'll do it. Because I believe that my baby deserves a father. And if those tests come back positive, don't even think about apologizing because the damage is done." I said angrily.

"Nevaeh I just told you that I believed you," Vicente argued.

"But before you believed me, you believed him. Because you're brothers right? Well, go ahead then." I said before turning away from him.

"Nevaeh-"

"No, you don't get to apologize. You had no problem with abandoning me in the past so it shouldn't be a problem now." I said before leaving the restaurant.

"Valentina?" Kelly called me by my middle name so I frowned before turning around to face her.

"Viktoria," I said blankly as she placed her arm around my shoulder.

"You'll get through this. I know it might hurt right now but everything happens for a reason." She said before pecking my cheek. "You're strong and you know the truth so hold onto it." She said so I nodded before hugging her.

Suddenly my cheap new phone rang in my pocket so I picked it up.

"Hello?" I said with a frown on my forehead.

"It's me, Jorde." A husky voice came from the other side.

"Jorde? Hi." I said in surprise.

"So have you decided yet because I'm leaving the country tomorrow morning? No pressure." He said and I frowned.

"You're going home right?" I asked.

"Yes, California." He replied and I let out a shaky breath.

"I haven't decided yet," I said softly.

"Just remember that I promised you and the baby love, safety, and anything you need." He said and my eyes welled up with tears as I placed my hand on my belly.

Why couldn't Calix just say that?

"I know,  Jorde. I'll call you later okay? Things are kinda hectic right now." I explained.

"Vasquez, is he in the country?" Jorde asked curiously.

"Yes and I told him about the baby and he-" I couldn't finish my sentence so I placed my hand on my mouth to stop a sob from escaping my lips.

"Are you serious?" Jorde asked in disbelief.

"Yes, uhm- you know what? I'll be ready by tomorrow morning." I said softly.

I'm desperate. I don't have parents that I can go to. I don't have any reliable siblings that I can count on. I can't depend on my best friend for the rest of my life and the father of my child wants nothing to do with me. So what else am I supposed to do?

"Are you sure?" He asked and I nodded.

"Yeah, I'm sure," I replied shortly.

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow. Be safe and get some sleep in." He said and a tear loosely fell out of my eye.

"Bye Jorde," I said before ending the call.

"What does he want?" Kelly asked and I smiled at her.

"Nothing. He was just asking if he could take me to breakfast tomorrow." I lied through my teeth.

"Ooh! Can I come?" Kelly asked and I frowned at her.

"No, don't you have that thing on campus tomorrow?" I asked her and she tilted her head to the side. I don't want her involved in this.

"I guess I do." She said in realization. I just made that up but college students always have something to do.

So tomorrow I'm starting my new life in a new country. But no pressure like Jorde said. I'll be fine, right?

Right?