15

I make it to Liyue within a couple hours. It's dark out once I reach the usual spot—Mt. Hulao. I take a deep breath, then start my climb.

Once at the top, I rest on our usual rock, catching my breath. I'm shaking now that the situation is becoming more and more real. I lean forward, thumbs twirling around each other as I try to collect my thoughts. My eyes squeeze shut just for a moment, and I take a deep breath.

"Xiao," I call out, looking into the night sky. I stare into the darkness, feeling a warmth well up in my face as I'm sitting there, alone. "Xiao," I say again. It's quiet. My eyes dart around for anything, but there's nothing here, not even the birds, or the squirrels. I'm completely alone.

The warmth intensifies, and I feel my lip quiver slightly, eye sight becoming blurry as tears coat my vision and trickle down my cheeks.

"XIAO!" I scream, but it comes out so desperate, written in pain and trembles. I drop my head into my hands, squeezing tight to muffle my soft sobs as my shoulder bounce. That's when I feel a gust of wind blow back my hair. I immediately look around, wet eyes dashing left and right, until I spot him. He stands at a distance behind me, arms folded. He doesn't look at me—instead, his eyes narrow to the side. He looks...upset, angry, hurt.

"Xiao..." I say, jumping up from my seat and running to him with open arms. But before I can grab him, he darts away, and I stumble back from the impact. I frown. "Please Xiao, I'm so sorry—"

"—I won't allow you to distract me any further, Traveler," he says, a harshness in his tone. "I was a fool to think someone like me could find normality in human interaction. I am here for one purpose, and that is to protect Liyue. You humans are in constant need of attention from other humans. I am simply incapable of fulfilling your needs."

"STOP." I run back to him and grab his shoulders. "Stop it, Xiao! You're more than capable. You're all I want and need. You fulfill every need I could ever have, I swear..."

"SHUT IT." He pushes my hands off of him. "How can you look me in the eyes and lie to me like this, Traveler? You tell me I am special, yet you can so easily go and..."

He stops, staring at me with his lips pursed so hard they turn white. His wide eyes bounce between mine, face turning red, breaths heavy, and I can tell he's trying his absolute hardest to suppress tears.

"Xiao," I say softly, then gently take his hands. I'm surprised when he doesn't pull them away. The once intimidating look on his face now seeming...miserable, desperate. Seeing him like this only makes my own tears worse. "Remember when you texted me that night? You told me you drank the whole bottle of liquor I got you, then you started saying things you probably wouldn't say if you were sober? Then you forgot everything when you woke up in the morning?"

I wait for his answer, but he just continues to search my eyes and attempt to remain stoic.

"Well, that's what happened to me," I say. "I was confused. The person I kissed, they are kind of around your size, anemo, similar colored hair... and with blurry vision and a clouded mind, I must have thought it was you... I know that's no excuse, and I'm really sorry I hurt you like that. But I promise you, Xiao, I don't love anyone in the way that I love you."

"I have never had anyone in this way, Aether..." he says, and finally, one singular tear trickles down his face, to which he violently turns away and rubs it clean before turning back to me. "So, to me, everything is a lot more special. When I...kiss you, it means something so important. So to see you just...go and do that with someone else. It infuriates me."

"I know," I say softly, holding his hands tighter. "And I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gotten so drunk. I promise, I won't get that drunk again unless it's with you. That kiss meant nothing, I don't even remember it. I just need you in my life, Xiao. I don't want to lose you."

"I have a question."

"What is it..."

"Was it Kaeya?" Xiao glares at me.

I try not to smirk too hard. "No Xiao, it wasn't Kaeya. Kaeya looks nothing like you."

"Right." He blushes a little, looking away from me, but I take his chin under my hand to watch his eyes.

"Xiao," I say, "I want you to know how special you are to me, and I want you to remember it always. I love you. When I tell you I love you, I'm serious. You mean the world to me. You're the only one I want like this. You're incredible, and worth every second of my time. You are beautiful, an amazing protector, and super strong. And when I kiss you right now, this kiss is special, and nothing can compare to the way I feel when I kiss you."

I take his face in my hands and press our lips together softly, closing my eyes. He isn't tense, and I even feel his arms gently snake around my hips. I smile softly on his lips as they play around with the other. I let my arms wrap around Xiao's neck as our tongues do their now familiar dance. Our necks roll around as our noses swap sides, before Xiao pulls away slightly to look into my eyes.

"Aether..." he whispers.

"Yes, Xiao?" I whisper back, even quieter.

"Um...It's nothing."

I tilt my head. "Now you have to tell me," I say.

His face goes beet red and he looks down. "Um-"

I take his face again, bringing his eyes back into mine.
"I love you, Xiao," I whisper on his lips. He pauses, lips parted, and I hear a soft hitch in his breathing.

"I... I love you too, Aether."

————————————————————
TO BE CONTINUED