43

I throw on Xiao's black hoodie, along with matching baggy trousers to complete my bum look, before jogging down a flight of stairs to Kaeya's door.

After a couple of knocks, Kaeya stands before me, outdoing my attire a thousand fold. Wide eyes follow up a pair of long legs covered in fitted black leather, up to a baby blue button-up, only fastened at the last four buttons to show me his chest, as usual. He leans on the door frame with a sorry smile, and I admit, I have to remind myself to breathe a little.

"Hey there," Kaeya says, stepping aside and motioning me in. I don't greet him, instead clearing the knot in my throat and dragging my homeless-looking ass inside as he shuts the door after me. He offers up a glass of wine that I refuse, then shrugs and sits on his usual chair with a glass of his own.

"You look nice," I mumble, finally breaking the awkward silence that follows after I'm sat on the bed.

"Why, thank you," he says with a smirk. "I have a few more things to take care of today before I head back. But I pushed them back a little. I consider this my top priority."

"You didn't have to do that," I say, crossing my arms.

He chuckles softly. "I know I didn't," he says. "I wanted to, Aether. You're a good friend of mine. I'd hate to keep things awkward between us. Speaking of which, I really am sorry about what happened. Truthfully, I didn't know how close you two truly were. Considering the whole Venti situation, I just assumed it wasn't a big deal. Just a bit of fun, is all."

I pause, looking down at my fingers that play around with one another. "I...guess I can see why you'd think that. I mean, it's not like we speak that often, and the last time we hung out, I had done something stupid like that."

He shakes his head. "Please, don't blame yourself. I'm at fault here. Really, my intention was never to hurt you, Traveler. I even made sure Xiao would be okay with it. I wouldn't have done it had I known it would make you as upset as it did, I hope you know that."

"You're an instigator, Kaeya," I say, voice raising slightly. "You like to stir the pot and you know it, so don't act like you weren't trying to get some type of rise out of me. You were just shocked when it went as south as it did."

Kaeya shifts in his seat, finishing his sip of wine, switching his crossed legs. "Okay. Yes, maybe a little. Perhaps I was testing a bit to see how far I could go, but again, I did try and make sure it was okay first. I wouldn't have done it otherwise. It upsets me that you think so lowly of me, Traveler."

I wave a hand. "No, it's whatever," I say. "Sorry. I'm here to fix things, not make them worse. I guess I can't blame you too much. Like I said, you don't know our relationship. It upset me because yes, I do love him, so much. I'm in love with him, and actually..." I pause, and Kaeya raises his eyebrows.

"Actually?" he says. "Aether, what are you telling me right now?"

I look up at him. "I...think I want to ask him to marry me."

Kaeya's mouth opens slightly. "Oh, wow. That's... interesting. You don't think it's a little, soon?"

"Xiao and I have actually known each other for a very long time," I say. "I've always liked him in that way, and I think he liked me too. We just didn't date because he was very much stay away from me then. All along, though, we knew."

"Oh," Kaeya says. "Well that's beautiful then. Congratulations, really. I'm happy for you guys."

"Yeah, thanks," I say. "I'm a little nervous, though. I hope the thought of marriage won't scare him away again. I worked so hard to get him to accept me. What if it brings him back to square one and he realizes he can't be keeping me this close again?"

"I'm sure that won't happen," he says. "There's no way he would be able to stay away from you for too long."

I sigh. "I hope not... I still need to talk to his dads about it. To be honest, knowing my plan to marry him is what made me explode when you kissed him... it made me second guess everything. But, I know what I want and I know that no matter what, I'll always love him. Now that you and I have cleared the air, I just have to get through Childe. I don't think Zhongli will be a problem, he likes that Xiao is with me. It's Childe I'm afraid of."

"Hmm," Kaeya say. "The ginger? I've actually met Childe a couple of times before. I don't think you have to worry about him. He seems like a fun, chill guy."

"Not when it comes to protecting his family," I say. "He's very passionate about that. He'll go to the end of the earth to make sure his family is safe."

"Safe from what, you?" Kaeya says. "If anything, he should be happy someone as strong as you is by Xiao's side. Childe likes you, right?"

I shrug. "I think so."

"Well, then you have nothing to worry about. Come on, you're the famous Traveler. Anyone would be lucky to have you around for the rest of their life."

I look to the side, trying to contain my smile. "Stop it you," I say, playfully shy.

He chuckles. "So, does this mean we're good?"

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, fine. I guess I forgive you or whatever."

He smiles. "Hug?"

"You just want to touch me." I say, and he laughs again.

"Maybe I do." He opens his arms to me, and I sigh, getting up and leaning down into him as he pulls me close. I laugh as I have to catch my balance, practically in his lap as he squeezes me tight.

"Alright alright," I say, still laughing. "That's enough. Geez, have you learned nothing at all? You're untamable."

"Is it?" He gives another squeeze, before finally letting me free and standing up, ruffling my hair. "Untamable, eh? I like it. Makes me sound wild and dangerous."

"Shut up," I say, swatting his hand away, still smirking. I fix myself up, as does he, before letting out another sigh. "Heading back to Mondstadt later, huh?"

"Yes sir."

I side-frown. "Well, it was nice seeing you again. I'll text you the details after the proposal. Not sure if I want to invite you to the wedding though."

"What," he says, "do you not trust me not to object?"

"Shut up!" I push him, and he laughs out.

"I'm just joking. I'm happy for you. Need me to walk you to your room?"

"I don't think Xiao would appreciate that," I say. "But thanks. Well, safe travels, Kaeya."

He gives a sad smile, bringing me in for one more hug.

"Don't be a stranger, friend. Mondstadt's not that far. Swing by more often."
———————————————————
TO BE CONTINUED