24

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty nervous watching Itto strut his way over to the lone general across the way. I signal to Xiao to follow, and we creep our way in closer to get a good view of whatever is about to unfold.

"H-heeeey!" Itto slides into an open spot next to the general, a drink in hand and a nervous yet somehow confident grin across his face. "Gorou, right? The name's Arataki Itto, but I'm sure you've already heard of me. I mean, who hasn't right? Anyway, uhhh..."

Itto looks around awkwardly while sipping his drink. I assume he's looking for us—since we've relocated—so I fake a loud sneeze that seems to get the attention of pretty much everyone around, including Itto. He finally spots us and snaps a finger in my direction, then turns back to Gorou.

"Uhh, so, uhh..." He takes another quick sip, swallowing hard, "has anyone ever told you that you look like Ms. Hina?"

Oh no. I palm my face in absolute embarrassment hearing Itto attempting to flirt. I want so badly to just jump in there and be his wingman, but it might be too late for that. Itto's dense, but I've never seen him so lost for words before. It's like he's actually looking for things to say. I didn't know how serious he was about Gorou until watching him squirm like this.

"I mean, that's totally a compliment," he continues, "I absolutely adore Ms. Hina. Love her! I mean wooo, she is... I-I mean, of course, not as great as you—I-I mean—"

"Itto," Gorou finally speaks back.

"Uh, yeah? What's up?"

"Is there something you...actually wanted?" Gorou asks, his ear tilting ever-so-slightly to the side. This, of course, grants a growing, shit-eating grin from the Oni.

"Oh my gosh," Itto says, eyes lit up like a kid in a candy store. "Your ears. Stop, that's the cutest thing ever. I love them. Can I touch them? Please? Come on, you gotta let me touch them."

"What? No, get off of—ah!" Gorou face goes red and he physically cringes at Itto's already grippy hands, letting out the slightest growl. "What is wrong with you?! Y-you can't just touch people's ears like that!"

He runs off quickly, as Itto stands there with his arms out. "Aww hey, wait up! Dude, come back...you're leaving already? That's no fun... the party just started! Hey, can we start over?! Darn..."

I shake my head, approaching the upset Oni and placing a hand on his back. "Itto," I say, "I'm sorry but, your game is weak."

"Wha-weak?!" he says. "I totally had him! I don't know what scared him off. Must have been my good looks. Poor guy, couldn't handle all this. Guess he's the shy type."

I sigh. "Uh, or maybe it's because you crossed some boundaries?" I say. "Try again, but this time maybe not try and touch him unless he wants you to. Also, maybe tone it down a bit. I know Gorou, and he's a nice guy, easy to talk to. Just try and have a casual conversation with him. You might want to start by apologizing, though.... Good luck!"

"I-"

"Don't worry, you got this!" I pat his back and head off back towards Xiao, leaving Itto to figure things out with Gorou on his own for a while, mainly because I'd finally like some alone time with my man. I lean in to kiss him, taking his hands in mine. "Thirsty?" I ask him.

"Not really," Xiao says, and I roll my eyes, leading him onto the dance floor.

"Of course not."

My body moves to the music as we make our way closer to the middle of the floor. Some sexual, upbeat song plays and I start to flirt-dance with my anemo king, swaying my hips and giving him the horny eyes, but he's so stiff, it brings down my mood.

"Come on, Xiao," I say, "dance, have fun! You don't get to do this often."

"I don't know how to dance, Aether."

"It doesn't matter, just move your body around. Dancing is all about enjoying yourself and feeling the music."

"I don't want to," he says, and I sigh dramatically.

"Okay," I say, "you're getting some drinks in you tonight. That'll loosen you up a bit, you uptight emo. Stay right here, I'll be right back."

There's people moving around all over the place, and I have to push and weave through sweaty bodies before finally making it to the bar area.

"Two Long Island ice teas," I say, leaning in so the bartender can hear me over the pulsing music.

"Well well well..."

My body freezes at the familiar, sultry voice, and I slowly turn towards it, to be met with a devious little grin.

"If it isn't the brave and, very talented, Traveler himself."
——————————————————————
TO BE CONTINUED